• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dual batteries - having a hell of a time finding a tray

anthrax323

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I've poured over dozens of threads about this topic, but seem to be hitting nothing but dead ends... I need to find a battery tray from a RHD or diesel XJ, but can't seem to find anyone who can help me get my hands on one. I've spoken to every dealership in the area, and they can't help me with these part numbers:

5501-0770
2303-4232

The second number didn't even come up in their systems, and the first number was something they couldn't order since it is an export model part. Turns out Mean Green made a tray for the XJ (as another member's recent thread on the topic informed me), but alas it is no longer available.

Anyone have any tips or leads regarding who I can talk to about getting this tray? I've also scoured the interwebs but can't find anyone selling it.

Thanks in advance... I'd really like to get this project out of the way before doing any heavy electrical work on my XJ.

Thanks for the tip - looks like a bit of custom fab work though.

Guess I'll do some more research, and hold my breath that I get lucky and find an RHD postal XJ in the junkyard... Or just harass the piss out of the local dealerships until they order one for me.

Give 55174970 a shot - that was the number for 2000 & '01.

What year XJ are we talking about here? The VM Motori 2.5TD was used in both the new and old bodystyle, so it may be that the pre-'97 part number has been discontinued.

Went by a dealership at lunch... Unfortunately, no dice. Here's what I learned:
  • 5517-4970 - Correct part number... Diesel XJ battery tray (left side) for 97+ models.
  • 5501-0770 - Pre-97 diesel battery tray.
  • 2303-4232 - Not a Chrysler/Mopar part number... Tips here would be appreciated.
The parts guy gave me the phone number for what I believe was a national Mopar/Chrysler parts supplier/distributor, who told me that there were simply none of part 5517-4970, as they had been discontinued... They made no mention of US sales restrictions.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

*EDIT* I also found a pic of the engine bay of a right-hand drive 4.0 XJ (late model) and the battery is on the right side (in front of the brake booster). So, it looks like the diesel models were indeed the only ones whose batteries were on the left side.

*EDIT #2* Well, more thorough research led me to the true solution:

http://www.wranglernw.com/pc-6370-790-dual-battery-tray-kit-for-jeep-xjcherokee-1987-2001.aspx

$465 for a complete kit, including cables and electronics. Need to piece everything else together and see how this stacks up value-wise...

Last edited:
i saw some write up that told ya how to cut a stock battery tray to make it fit on the other side. was looking for it not having much luck basically if i remember had some white paint that showed ya how to cut it up nice

Try here and search for the 5517-4970 part number.

But don't tell anyone. :jester:
Dude... I don't know you, but I think I love you.

Ordering it now... I really hope it's the correct part (shown as a 1999 model part for the 2.5L, but doesn't specify petrol or diesel), but if not, I guess I'll just take a slight loss. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :) .

Thanks again!

Ordering it now... I really hope it's the correct part (shown as a 1999 model part for the 2.5L, but doesn't specify petrol or diesel), but if not, I guess I'll just take a slight loss. I guess we'll just have to wait and see :) .

Thanks again!

Believe me, its the right one. Have fun with your project. :cheers:

Try here and search for the 5517-4970 part number.

But don't tell anyone. :jester:

How does this site have EVERY part? For fun I searched for the transfer case skid, NEW for $23!

Then I searched for 9000H series winch with 95 feet of cable. They have it! Only $1,125. Could this possible be a "Jeep Special Equipment" badged WARN?

How does this site have EVERY part? For fun I searched for the transfer case skid, NEW for $23!

Then I searched for 9000H series winch with 95 feet of cable. They have it! Only $1,125. Could this possible be a "Jeep Special Equipment" badged WARN?
No sh*t, I'm blown away. They have the OE gas tank skid for $205 (corrected), however, the front skid... is only $7.90?!?! Less than eight dollars? I'm ordering one just for grins to see if it even arrives.

This site has made it to my permanent bookmarks.

*EDIT* Sorry, it's $9.56... $7.90 is the MSRP (still don't quite get it though).

Last edited:
This thread has been quite informative... Between Wholesalemopar.com and JustForJeeps.com, it looks like I can get damn near anything I'll ever need for the XJ in the OE realm (especially now that I have a handy Mopar 2001 XJ Accessory catalog in PDF format - PM me if you want a copy, ~7.0 MB).

Son of a bitch.

Order Number: 26778374
Hello, Unfortunately this part has been cancelled by Mopar. Thanks The Wholesalemopar Team
They canceled my order for the battery tray. Back to square one.

More details in a follow-up:

RE: Order Number 26778374

Thank you for ordering from Wholesale Mopar .

We regret to inform you that the following item is currently unavailable:

Part Number: 55174970
Part Description: Electrical Battery Battery tray 2.5 liter 2.5 liter
Reason: Discontinued

This is fun.

Last edited:
anthrax,

I ordered mine about 9 months ago and got it. Must have been a recent development. I've got two other sources for that tray. I'll call them today and confirm status and then post back.

anthrax,

I ordered mine about 9 months ago and got it. Must have been a recent development. I've got two other sources for that tray. I'll call them today and confirm status and then post back.
You're far too kind - I look forward to hearing what you find.

Worst case scenario, I'll see if I can find an EU Jeep/XJ forum and find someone to salvage one from a diesel XJ... Not sure how that's gonna pan out. I just don't want to spend nearly $500 on that kit I linked previously.

I'm done with Wholesale Mopar.

Thank you for ordering from Wholesale Mopar .

We regret to inform you that the following 2 items are currently unavailable:

Part Number: 82205147
Part Description: PLATE KIT SKID - TRA
Part Number: 82205147
Part Description: Front suspension, Front axle and carrier, Skid plate, Skid plate - 4wd - 4wd

So, everything I've ordered from them has apparently been discontinued, and my orders have been canceled. Guess it was just too good to be true, or I'm just good at wanting exactly what they can no longer get.

Resurrecting an old-ish thread. Was there any resolution? Anthrax323, ever find a solution?

I'm in the same boat. I've relocated my intake and want to put a second battery in the stock airbox location. I'm hoping not to have to spend $200-300 to accomplish that.

Thanks,
-Roger

Back