• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VW 4cyl diesel in an XJ

XJeeper87

NAXJA Forum User
Anybody ever put a mid 80's 4cyl vw diesal in a cherokee with the ba10???
It would be daily driver and mild wheeling? thoughts and list of cons cus Im sure there are a few. Just asking cus my 4.0L has 285,000 Miles on it and I have acces to a vw diesal for very cheap or free.

Re: VW 4cyl diesal

if everyone who asked a question about swapping a motor into a cherokee actually did it, the world would be more awesomer.

Re: VW 4cyl diesal

Anybody ever put a mid 80's 4cyl vw diesal in a cherokee with the ba10???
It would be daily driver and mild wheeling? thoughts and list of cons cus Im sure there are a few. Just asking cus my 4.0L has 285,000 Miles on it and I have acces to a vw diesal for very cheap or free.

Take a look here - their conversion was in a YJ, but they may be able to come up with something for the XJ.

I drove an 80's VW pickup back in the day. It was a work truck and I did like driving it. The mileage was great, about 45 mpg. It handled great, but it was under powered. On hills it could not maintain freeway speeds, and the speed limit was only 55 back then. I looked it up and it only had about 60 hp. It was a much smaller vehicle than an XJ so I think the engine would just not be enough.

Stay away from the 80's diesels. If you can find a late 90's or newer go for it. Their are a lot of upgrades for the newer VW diesels. Check out the euro seen.

Back