• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

converting jeep to obd2? 1997 to 1999?

pd code 805d

NAXJA Forum User
is this possible? i want the 4wd out of a 1999 jeep and i wanted to know what i need to grab to make it work? is this a difficult task?

Last edited:
97 is OBD2? Why would you want to take out an existing system and installing an identical system.

If your 97 is giving you electrical issues then do some troubleshooting.

yeah...

based on the part about wanting the 4wd out of a 99 jeep, I suspect you're talking about some of the transmission stuff. Mind clarifying what you want to swap so we can figure out what you'll have to swap as well to make it work?

96 and up IS OBD2 and the 97 I know for a fact is because I own one. The transmission sensors changed in 98 and went to two speed sensors instead of one. These speed sensors are not for vehicle speed for what your speedometer reads but for the TCU to know the transmission speed. A 99 transmission can be put in a 97 but it is a pain to get it to work and it is more recommended that you get a transmission from a 96-97 for you 97 since those will be your closest match.

A 99 transmission can be put in a 97 but it is a pain to get it to work and it is more recommended that you get a transmission from a 96-97 for you 97 since those will be your closest match.
not exactly, I have covered this in detail recently (but don't have the thread link handy.) 91-97 are all exactly the same except for an electrical connector that needs to be spliced, sensors are 100% the same. 97 is unique for the electrical connector so if you don't get the tranny out of a 97 donor you have to swap or splice regardless.

not exactly, I have covered this in detail recently (but don't have the thread link handy.) 91-97 are all exactly the same except for an electrical connector that needs to be spliced, sensors are 100% the same. 97 is unique for the electrical connector so if you don't get the tranny out of a 97 donor you have to swap or splice regardless.

I meant like physically it could go in but what it would take to get the electronics to work is more of a pain than to just find the right year transmission.

I meant like physically it could go in but what it would take to get the electronics to work is more of a pain than to just find the right year transmission.
Not really I just put a 98 aw4 in my 97 only about a hour to swap over harness for the solenoids and the speed sensor and rear housing.

so... i bought the 99 jeep 4wd vehicle. it is beat up but only has 150K on it.

I want the 4wd but what is required?

I do not want the whole harness just info on swapping my 2wd with that ones 4wd.

What on the harness needs to be changed? which wires will i splice ?

CAN SOMEONE JUST GIVE ME A DIAGRAM OF WIRES MAYBE??LOL

My understanding is that you have a 2wd and you bought a 4wd, so you can do a 4wd conversion, correct?

In that case, all you need is the transmission/transfer case, the front axle, the driveshaft, and the 4wd lever/linkage. You don't need to do any wiring unless you care about the 4wd light on the dash (which you really shouldn't).

There is one connector that is different between the 2wd and the 4wd stuff. It has 4 pins, whereas the 2wd harness has only 2. If you follow the 4-pin harness back on the transmission, you will see that 2 of the wires are for a 4wd indicator (not necessary) and the other 2 are the same as what you currently have. "Delete" the 4wd indicator wires through whatever means necessary, and you're done.

you also need a tailhousing for the 4wd transmission that fits the output speed sensor from your 97... you do not have all the parts needed. This is why I asked for more details so we could let you know what was going to be needed before you bought the donor :doh:

You'll need to either build an adapter circuit (not too complex if you are ok with electronics and know how to solder) or find a tailhousing/4wd adapter housing off a 4wd AW4 made from 1987 through 1997.

does anyone live in or around gwinnett county ga? i would like for someone to come give a look at my jeeps.

I have been thinking about just keeping it and repairing the few things messed up.

Back