• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HID help!

Oil Town XJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm ready to toss these stupid things in the trash!!!

I bought the FX-R kit with 50watt Morimoto bulbs and ballast from the retrofit source a couple of months ago and have had nothing but problems. When I was doing the actual retrofit, I had a hard time getting the bulbs to fire and stay on when wired to the battery. I was able to get it down however.

Fast forward to installing the provided harness with my newly retrofitted and I can't get the lights to stay on. They just turn on for a second and shut off immediately after, but the ballasts stay light up. I went over all my wiring a hundred times tried a bunch of different grounds all with the same results. Before I did the retrofit I was running ddmtuning 55watt hid kit and they worked fine.

After talking with the retrofitsource they thought it might be the bulbs, so they sent me out new ones. Installed them today and had the same result, I tried playing around with the fuse they provided for the main power line and one bulb stayed on. The bulb works in both ballast, but the other 3 bulbs I now have dont work in any. Another issue is when I switch to highbeams the light flap for the cutoff only moves a hair.

At this point I'm ready to give up, I've installed hid's before, but never experienced anything like this. The Retrofit source's harness is also shit! Very thin wiring with bad connections.

Here's the kit I installed http://www.theretrofitsource.com/product_info.php?products_id=141

Anyone have an idea whats wrong?

I think i'd start by just wiring everything straight to the battery. That way you can eliminate power and grounds and make sure the ballasts are working.

I had some issues with mine at first (DDMTuning, but only 35w)--HIDs are very picky about having a GREAT power supply. Any loose connectors will kill it instantly.

Both ballast can light up one of the four bulbs, so I think there fine. I think the problem might be in the harness. Whats the best way to wire them directly to the battery? I was just useing jumper wires from the plug to the battery

I was just talking about temporarily, i.e. moving the ballast boxes over to right next to the battery and connecting the wires straight to it.

If you want to make your own wiring kit, what you would do is something like this:

foglite.jpg

Except that i would use the factory headlight relay to trigger your relay (high amp), and run thick gauge wiring the whole length of it.

Back