• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Superior or Nitro Chrysler 8.25 4,88's????

brianglawson

NAXJA Forum User
So i know the Nitro 4.88s seem to have been the only choice for a while now. I can't seem to find anone running Superior's 4.88 8.25 gears. I've always thought they were a top notch manufacturer?

From Superior Direct you can get D30rhp 4.88s w/master install kit and 8.25 4.88s w/master install kit and a new carrier for the D30 for $635.00

Jeepin Outfitters sells the same package minus the carrier for the D30 in Nitro Gears w/master install kits that use tomken bearings, etc...

Sooo... Superior Gears or Nitro Gears?

Also, what kind of Limited Slips are available for the 8.25? What is the best? I cant afford a full, selectable locker, but I'm fine with basic LSD's

Jeep is a 6'5" lifted Cherokee on 305/75/16 (33") Firestone Destination M/T's on 16x8 Rubi wheels with Spidertrax spacers!
240,000 miles and kicking... I also plan to be adding rock rails and unibody stiffeners, bumpers...yadda yadda.... so I think 4.88 is a better choice over 4.56

Id be more than glad to do something of the sort, however in the end I want the "superior" product, whether it be Superior Brand or Nitro Brand....

soooo... any input on the quality, particulary quietness of the the two?

^^^ exactly, I appreciate supporting vendors... but i appreciate better products more....

What's wrong with nitros?

:rolleyes:

If I didnt like/feel Nitro's were better, I wouldnt have said them. Its just an extra bonus that a supporting vendor sells them.

^^ Haha, Well that's the input I'm looking for, are the Nitro's quiet, stout, and all aroud nice gears? I've always known Superior to be excellent gears from the experiences of others(never personally) but I have never heard anything about Nitros

My rig gets driven just as much as my Subaru, so I id rather not hear a bunch of gear noise.... Plus, my little girl would get ill if she couldnt hear her "Despicable Me" DVD :D

How quiet or how loud the gears are is mostly based on the setup IMHO. You can buy the best possible gears, install them crappy, and they'll make noise. Nitro was the first to come out with 4.88's for the C8.25, that would only lead me to believe they must really know them and what theyre doing.

I run nitros in my 30 they make no noise. Can't speak for the rear application though. I ordered mine through just differentials, a forum vendor. He was very helpful on the phone and gave me a great price. Oh, and he threw in a t-shirt :D

How about supporting NAXJA and buying some Nitro's thru a sponsor like Just Differentials?

I've got Nitro 4.56s in mine... no noticeable noise.

As previously mentioned, the setup is more important than the manufacture.

How quiet or how loud the gears are is mostly based on the setup IMHO. You can buy the best possible gears, install them crappy, and they'll make noise. Nitro was the first to come out with 4.88's for the C8.25, that would only lead me to believe they must really know them and what theyre doing.

You're a marketing team's dream audience. :cheers:

Hmm, sounds like either one would be fine in all cases then... WHats this stuff about grinding a pin? how will they work with say an Aussie locker?

I'm running the Nitro 4.88's in my 8.25 w/Aussie locker. Wheeled it hard on a few trails and they have been in for a year now. No noise that I know of but with 35's roaring in the back ground I doubt I would notice LOL!

I set my own diffs up and honestly, you can eliminate most gear noise if you know what you are doing.

Back