• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

T case grinding noise

Laurent Wagoneer

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. So I started to notice this grinding (metal to metal) noise about 2 weeks ago. It was not so loud then but now it's just so loud that I can hear it in the FWY.
I have a 242 no slip yoke and I'm lifted 4.5" with 32's stock gears.
The grinding comes as Im on D and give it gas. As soon as I let go of the gas it goes away like in a second.
I looked under the car as I was driving (open road) and the noise is coming from the tcase area. I did some searching and so far I'm assing that it may be the chain or the bearings? Note that I'm driving 2wd.

Oh and just today I started to feel some vibes. I know that could be the DS but that was recent and I doubt that making the noise.

I looked under the car as I was driving (open road) and the noise is coming from the tcase area.

Neat trick. For some reason I'm picturing one of those darwin award scenarios. I think it was the one where the guy had his buddy hang under the car while he drove forward so he could pinpoint the noise. The buddy ended up wrapped around the driveshaft.

Anyway... A stretched chain might be a possibility. Change the xfer case oil and see if it's got metal dust in it.

I drove just now to my house and noise wasn't there. I know tomorrow when I drive to work I'll hear it again. It comes and goes. Gggrrrrr!!!! Now if it was the chain, I'd figure that it would be constant noise all the time right?

Back