• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Help a noob identify overhead button

Illeagle

NAXJA Forum User
I got an 89 XJ and cant figure out what this button is. Obviously there is a cover/or switch missing but I dont see anywhere a bulb can go in or anything to push. Anyone know if this was for a dome light or garage door opener?

9ed6d15b.jpg

03fa84a0.jpg

ii know that if you use your alarm then you want to leave it in if you dont use it then you can take it out. but i think its the antenna and a sensor for the alarm. the xj does not use inferred light.

Well I have an aftermarket alarm with remote unlock that came with the vehicle and no key fobs for the original system so I guess its obsolete at this point. Im actually very surprised to see it actually had that feature in 89. Thanks for all the help guys.

the xj does not use inferred light.
through '92 it was an IR transmitter and receiver-- which is one of the reasons it never seems to work until you're right on top of the vehicle

Yep, this is correct. I've literally been sitting inside my '91 with the IR system, and not been able to lock or unlock the doors. Its a pain in the butt system, sometimes it works well, others times it doesn't like to work at all.

through '92 it was an IR transmitter and receiver-- which is one of the reasons it never seems to work until you're right on top of the vehicle

I'd almost say that IR was used up through '96, but could be wrong on that.

FWIW, the RF system is better but can be kind of hit-or-miss. My 2001 would consistently work from what seemed like three football fields away, but on the 2000 I can sometimes be found standing next to it swearing loudly at the remote.

FWIW, the RF system is better but can be kind of hit-or-miss. My 2001 would consistently work from what seemed like three football fields away, but on the 2000 I can sometimes be found standing next to it swearing loudly at the remote.

I knew the remote transmitter changed after '92, so I assumed the IR went away then as well, but I've been wrong once or twice...

I got an 89 XJ and cant figure out what this button is. Obviously there is a cover/or switch missing but I dont see anywhere a bulb can go in or anything to push. Anyone know if this was for a dome light or garage door opener?

9ed6d15b.jpg

03fa84a0.jpg

i have the same thing in my 89 limited xj. no key fob or anything, so i almost ripped it out. then thought i'd just leave it in & let idiots think it's still a good working park, lmao. but then again the way our xj looks, no one would want to try to break-in to it! mine also has the smoke-colored cover for the front of it (what yours is missing in the pics).
my guess is that you could prolly be able to yank a cover out of one from a local yard for next to nothing?

My 96 is IR, just dont have remotes...stealership wants 195.00 for each new one.

Back