• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

leaf spring bushing bolt stuck?? help

mbarker9

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys, im trying to get my leaf springs off and the front bolt comes out about an inch and then stops. It just spins and spins....This is my first lift so im wondering if i have stripped it or if this is normal. I can't seem to get it out any more. any ideas?

Michael

http://www.flickr.com/photos/57480294@N03/sets/72157625983586882/

you have to check if the welded nut became unwelded and is spining in the leaf spring mount, if so make a slice and slide a wrench in there. otherwise if its just stuck in the bushing and you cant pull it you can stick a sawzall in the mount and cut off as much of the bolt that sticks out as possible, then twist out the leaf spring. good luck its kinda a PITA

First of all, stop spinning it. Most likely at this point you are tearing up the threads in the frame (i.e. you might have to chase the threads with a tap once you do get the bolt out).

I am going to assume that it took a whole lot of torque to back that bolt out the inch or so that it is. Most likely the bolt is seized into the metal bushing inside the rubber bushing of the spring. The mechanical advantage of the threads were able to push the bolt back through the bushing until the bolt ran out of threads. Without the threads pushing it out you are simply spinning the bolt and metal bushing in the rubber. When I ended up in your situation, I ended up using a cutting disc (drill mounted/grinder/die grinder mounted, your pick) to go between the inside of the mount and the spring and cut the bolt. With the bolt cut the spring came out no problem. I did end up having to buy a new bolt and chase the threads with a tap (although you could probably notch the bolt and use it as a poor man's tap).

Others might have some other suggestions.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of wrenching on old vehicles.

You can try turning the bolt back in about 1/2 way, applying a lot of spray lube, and backing it back out. If it'll spin in and out, the weld nut isn't broken. It's just rust buildup holding the bolt in the bushing. Try putting a pickle fork under the bolt head once it stops moving and continue turning the bolt. You may be able to lever the bolt the rest of the way out without resorting to a grinder/sawzall.(worked for me)

Edit: I bought new bolts from the dealer before I started the project. 'Had to order them, and took about 3 days for them to come in. Not sure what size, but they are metric. Also, all 3 bolts(front spring eye and both shackle bolts) are the same size.

Common problem. If you look at the bottom of this page, there are numerous threads with the variety of ways people dealt with it, along with bolt sizes and all that fun stuff.

OE part numbers in the thread below. I buy the hardware at a local farm/fleet store, as long as they have the right grade- easier for me than waiting a week for a bolt to show up in the mail.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1036202&page=2

Back