• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

fluids.

61scout80

NAXJA Forum User
I need to fill everything on my jeep. I'm not sure what the proper fluids are.

I have a D30, 8.25, np231 and AX15. what fluids should I go with?

EDIT: Let me narrow this up. after a re-read I realize I sound like a lazy moron. are these correct weights and types?

AX15 - GL-3 70W80
NP231 - DEX III ATF
8.25 - 75w90 GL-5 (does this change with a lock right lunchbox locker??)
D30 - 75w90

Last edited:
that looks good to me.....not sure on the AX15 fluid though, I've never had one.

You can also use 10w-30 in your AX-15.
What I do at this point is run 75w-110 front and rear so I can keep some extra and use it in either. I use Amsoil Full synthetic fluids.

AX15 - GL-3 70W80 - good, just make sure it's listed as yellow metal safe if it's also GL-5 compliant, or run 10w30 synthetic motor oil as Johnnie said
NP231 - DEX III ATF - works, so does any other random ATF you happen to have handy, the NP231 is not at all picky
8.25 - 75w90 GL-5 (does this change with a lock right lunchbox locker??)
D30 - 75w90
both diffs - whatever gear lube you feel like. If you wheel it frequently you probably should change it more often than normal street driven rigs anyways due to water immersion in stream crossings (or mud, if you swing that way.) I run cheap Coastal, remember that most vehicles operate fine and almost all owners don't get their diff fluid changed... ever, unless they are either dealership-funding suckers or good DIY mechanics. *ANY* new fluid is better than whatever sludge is left in there after 50 thousand miles from your average auto owner.

the axles had 231,000 miles on them. I'm pretty sure it was the stock oil I drained!

Oil is a weak spot for me, but i'm concerned 10w30 would be a bit thin to run here when it's 115°.

Back