• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

AA SYE Question

MrKTroop

NAXJA Forum User
I just installed the AA SYE in my NP231 transfer case and noticed that after everything was put back together, (on the bench) when you manually turn the main shaft there is some play between the sleeve and the hub when it is in 4W Lo. Is this normal? There doesn't seem to be any play in the other positions. I didn't think to check it when the old main shaft was in.

If your talking about between the input gear and the output shaft yoke,then thats just the extra "slop" caused by the planetaries.

What's the sleeve and the hub?

If the mainshaft is snug on its axis of rotation (that is, pulling perpendicular to the axis of rotation yields no play), then you're good.

If you're saying that when in 4-LO, when you rotate either output shaft there is some slop in its engagement of the input shaft (you can rotate them a bit before the input moves), that seems to be normal... I noticed the same thing when installing my SYE (Tom Woods SD). The gear/teeth that engage the chain sprocket and planetary gears to the main shaft seem to have a considerable amount of play in them, presumably for ease of shifting. Not even sure I'm using the right words here, honestly...

An expert should probably chime in here, though. I've only seen the inside of an NP231 once, and it was for my SYE install.

What's the sleeve and the hub?

By "sleeve" I mean the largest ring that moves back and forth by the large shift fork.
The "hub" is the large gear that sits in front of the sprocket and the sleeve slides back and forth on.

The sleeve has really tiny gear teeth that are maybe 1/4" apart from each other and the hub teeth are much closer together (two teeth fit between each tooth on the sleeve). This is where the play is. I followed the FSM and it appears to be correct, but it does not mention anything about the play in the sleeve. I was just wondering if it was normal to see that play in the sleeve when it's in 4W lo.

If the mainshaft is snug on its axis of rotation (that is, pulling perpendicular to the axis of rotation yields no play), then you're good.

If you're saying that when in 4-LO, when you rotate either output shaft there is some slop in its engagement of the input shaft (you can rotate them a bit before the input moves), that seems to be normal... I noticed the same thing when installing my SYE (Tom Woods SD). The gear/teeth that engage the chain sprocket and planetary gears to the main shaft seem to have a considerable amount of play in them, presumably for ease of shifting. Not even sure I'm using the right words here, honestly...

An expert should probably chime in here, though. I've only seen the inside of an NP231 once, and it was for my SYE install.

I think this is exactly what I'm seeing. I just wanted to make sure that the 4W lo isn't depending on the sleeve to drive the output shaft. There's no way the teeth on the sleeve would handle it. I can't really tell, but I'm assuming that at the end of the play, it relies on the 4W lo gear to drive the axles.

Back