• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

looking at going up from 3" to 4.5" on my '96 XJ, worried about possible vibes

ericfx1984

NAXJA Forum User

Right now I have a Rough Country 3" kit...

-full leafs
-coils
-JK shocks
-1" transfer case drop
-2 degree shims in the rear
-(will be adding control arms)

I am planning to add a spacer up front and and a shackle in the rear

my thought is that by adding the lengthened shackle it should tip the pinion up and help to push the slip yoke further in the there

so what are the chances that this combo, using the 3 inch leafs and the 1.5" shackle (3" longer than stock) will be ok without a SYE?

here is a picture of my current angles while parked (this is on the 3" lift)

DSCF2728.jpg

DSCF2727.jpg

DSCF2726.jpg

Last edited:
Re: looking at going up from 3" to 4.5" on my '96 XJ, worried about possible vibes

i have a 96 and 4.5" of lift. im running front 3" springs with a true 1" spacer and originally ran jk shocks, they wont work up front. at 4" i only had an inch of down travel, so plan on new front shocks. in the rear im running s10 springs which are giving about 4" of lift and mj shackles which is giving .5" of lift. with 1" t-case drop i have very slight to no vibes. i can report that the jk shocks do work in the rear at this lift height. i know not every jeep isnt the same but mine seems to work well.

Re: looking at going up from 3" to 4.5" on my '96 XJ, worried about possible vibes

I have a 95 with 4.5 lift and I have no vibe's at all 1" cross member drop 4 degree shims and no SYE and corect length procomp shocks flex is good and I have never seperated my drive shafts.

i have a 96 and 4.5" of lift. im running front 3" springs with a true 1" spacer and originally ran jk shocks, they wont work up front. at 4" i only had an inch of down travel, so plan on new front shocks. in the rear im running s10 springs which are giving about 4" of lift and mj shackles which is giving .5" of lift. with 1" t-case drop i have very slight to no vibes. i can report that the jk shocks do work in the rear at this lift height. i know not every jeep isnt the same but mine seems to work well.

not sure about regular JK shocks but the Rubicon JK front shocks are 17" compressed, 24.5" open... they will support 4.5" no problem... and with a Bar Pin Eliminator they will gain and inch as well, making them good for 5" lift

you issue was likely due to using stock lower control arms... as they WILL smack the axle side mounts very soon at 4"+ of lift

but short answer is with what I am planning the rear should be fine

i have the rubicon shocks and do not have factory control arms. just trust me on this one i know from experience. my new from pro comp shocks are for 4-5" of lift and are about 2" longer than the jks fully extended and ride better than the jk's. might as well spend the money on new front shocks instead of bar pin eliminators.

i have the rubicon shocks and do not have factory control arms. just trust me on this one i know from experience. my new from pro comp shocks are for 4-5" of lift and are about 2" longer than the jks fully extended and ride better than the jk's. might as well spend the money on new front shocks instead of bar pin eliminators.

I will just fab up the BPE takes about 10 mins and I have scrap laying around to do it

so you said that you only had 1" down travel... does that mean with the pro comps you only had 3" down travel?

my mistake, the pro comps are 3-4" longer, no actuall measurements just eye ball measurements i do know that my coils are now the limiting factor on how much down travel i have and not my shocks.

Back