• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater question

littlebluexj

NAXJA Forum User
Just needing some info about the heater on an 89. I removed the vacuum canister over the summer. Now it is winter and averaging -5 every morning I would like to fix a problem I created. When removing the canister I lost the control for my heater. I would like to know the location of the vacuum controler for the Vent,Floor,Defrost selector. I will be installing a pull cable to this, in order to have control again.

If I could get some pics that would be helpful if not I can manage.
Also Is the Heater Control open or closed to recieve the hotest temp.

Thanks for the responces
William

There are a few vacuum controllers under the dash. You can see them if you stick your noggin under there. Move the levers with your hands with the fan on and you'll see how it works.

I have to ask though. Why not just put a vac can under the hood and hook up the 2 vac lines and be done with it?

I know lots of guys who have gotten aftermarket bumpers have relocated the vac cannister under the hood (me included). Eliminate about 4 feet of hose, more opportunities for leaks etc. I strapped mine to the firewall and have about 6" of vac line to it, and everything works fine.

I know lots of guys who have gotten aftermarket bumpers have relocated the vac cannister under the hood (me included). Eliminate about 4 feet of hose, more opportunities for leaks etc. I strapped mine to the firewall and have about 6" of vac line to it, and everything works fine.

Yep. Simple.

I had mine under the hood, removed the CC, AC, all emissions etc. I have removed all vac lines that are not needed. only ones left are brake booster and MAP. I have changed over to late model rad and removed washer bottle. The more simplist the engine bay is the easier it is to diagnose problems. I see that it was a simple move to have the vacuum reserve bottle in the engine bay, done that. However I preffer manual controlled things. Ox lockers, linkage controlled t-cases etc. All I ask is which one of the two valves on the pass side of the heater core is the one that controls air flow location. I am unable to go outside and look as we have 21" of snow.
Thanks again
William

As mentioned above - manually move controls to get heat you want till weather is better. Some string or wire will hold them where you want temporary. Fix it right first good weather day or access to a garage.

Back