• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wiring? newbie question.

cotyxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok I'm new to the jeep world. If it doesn't have a bowtie on it I really haven't messed with it. Have a 95 4.0 5peed. Died the other night and was like the alternator had quit. So I checked the battery connections and all was fine just a dim dome ligh and a sick sounding buzzer, headlights wouldn't even come on. Well I was giving up and slammed the door and the light seemed brighter so I tried again and it started. Well I drove it this morning fine and parked it, went to leave a little bit ago and same thing. I had to pull a blue relay under the drivers dash this time bc it was making a horrible noise but still does nothing when I hit the key. Truck has a new starter on it so that's not the problem. If u have any ideas please help. I hate wiring but this is my daily/toy.....

You need to check the condition of the battery terminals, posts and cables. If they are corroded replace them. Also make sure that the terminals are tight at the battery. Also make sure the cables are tight on the other end as well. If that all checks out then check battery voltage and make sure the alternator is charging at least 13.5 volts when running.

In this order.....

1. Load test your battery. Any parts store will do this for free. Load testing is the only accurate way of determining battery condition.
2. Freshen your GROUNDS. Very important here. More on it below...
3. Verify alternator output with a meter at the battery. Should be 14 volts, give or take.
--------------------------

Grounds can be the root cause of many electrical gremlins. Refreshing grounds is NEVER a bad idea!

You can't just check or look at these grounds. You must remove, scrape, clean until shiny the cable/wire ends and whatever they bolt to. The one on the back corner of the head, and where it attaches to the firewall. Scrape the paint from the firewall. Best to replace that woven cable with a #4 or #2 gauge cable. You can attach the one end to the intake manifold if you would like.

Next go over to the engine dipstick tube stud. Remove the nut and clean the wire ends and scrape the block until shiny at the stud. Reattach tightly.

If you are so inclined, add at least a #6 cable from the negative terminal of your battery to one of the bolts on your radiator support. Scrape the paint off first.

Alternator, is charging even put the battery charger on just in case. Goin out to check all the grounds and clean, what about that blue relay under the dash? How do I know what the relays run? I know there is an ignition relay but I don't know where to find it. So many grounds and wiring....I can make a small blck chevy run off 6 wires lol

Ok I have just read that the two colored relays under the dash are the hazzard relays. So that is answered I figure its just not getting enough power and the noise is it jumping. Just didn't know if it was the ignition relay....

And can anyone tell me where all these grounds are? Any in cab?

this has been beaten to death. Use the search function and you'll find list after list of the ground locations. The one thats causing your problem is likely the one on the back of the head to the firewall. Replace the braided steel strap.

All of the important relays are under the hood in the PDC for your year. Along with most of the ECU/ignition/fuel related fuses.

Thanks for all the help guys. I cleaned some grounds found and alarm and removed that, but also found amp wiring that was draining a lot of my power (even though I have now stereo system in it). And she fired up. Sorry I didn't think to use the search like I said I'm new, gotta say though I'm very impressed with this little truck.

Back