• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Another Turn Signal Problem

capnsean520

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys...

I've got an '89 XJ... My problem is that the right turn signal and hazards stop flashing after the brake pedal is depressed. I have already replaced the flasher relay and, although the flash count is higher, it still doesn't solve the problem.

What I've noticed:

When the brake pedal is depressed:
Right Turn signal stops flashing
Hazards stop flashing
Brake lights and Ambers are illuminated

When the brake pedal is released:
Right Turn signal continues flashing
Hazards continue flashing
Tail lights are on when lights are on/ off when they're not (Normal config.)

Obviously, these are all at different times, i.e. the turn signal is separate from the hazards, and the ambers illuminate at all times whenever the brake pedal is depressed.

I haven't seen any other post that would help me out, as they're all a bit different. What I'm guessing is that there's a bad ground somewhere in or around the brake pedal switch. Any opinions on that?

Thanks!

Actually it may just be the main battery engine and engine to body ground that is bad. It is the most common complaint and source of all sorts of gremlin electrical stories that haunt the 87-90 Renix jeeps. Tons of threads here on the story and the best fixes.

Back