• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

misfiring folowed by overheating

dhreeves

NAXJA Forum User
Yesterday my 96 4.0 automatic was running a bit rough, CEL and three misfire codes, p0300, p0204, and p0304. Figured I would do a bit of research and work on a fix this weekend. Leaving work this evening it was running worse than ever, stumbling, missing and would barely manage 40mph. I pulled over, checked the oil level, it was good. Disconnected the plug on cylinder four and it did run even worse. It does have mustang injectors and less than 3 year old, plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and coil. So I headed back out on the road to try to make it home but within less than 1/4 mile, the temp was up to 250ish so I pulled into a parking lot and there it sits now. It just had the thermostat, water pump and radiator replaced 3 months ago as well.

Any ideas? I'm a bit afraid I'm looking at a blown headgasket.

You did have the right mixture of antifreeze in it, right?

I hate to say it, but honestly I dont know, the work was done by a shop. What I believe to be a reputable shop in Denver for quite a few years.

I would have it checked. It really sounds like you froze a motor.(n)

Allowing the coolant to freeze in a motor usually means the engine is trashed. The expanding ice, warps and cracks the head and block. Many times you will then leak antifreeze, but the changes in the dimensions of the head and block tend to render them worthless and scrap.

Before you panic, check the strength of the antifreeze. Remember, tonight it will be even colder.

Back