• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

powertrax vs aussie vs spartan

Yardog

NAXJA Forum User
Looking to put a Spartan locker from Randy's in my D30. Is the Powertrax or Aussie better? I currently have a Powertrax in an 8.8 in the rear and I like it but I deal with Randy's quite a bit and would give the Spartan a shot if it is equally as good. Or if the Aussie is better than either one I would get the Aussie. Anyone have an opinion on which of the three is the best?:looney:

I have the Spartan and i think it's pretty much a dead ripoff of the Aussie...which is probably a good thing. It's pretty quiet and it works well. Easy to install. I don't do any hardcore wheeling but i would imagine it's at least as strong as the Aussie. I have mine in the back, in a D44.

My spartan(XJ) is louder than my Aussie(TJ)-but then again everything is louder in the XJ. My buddy's powertrax in his XJ is as quiet as my TJ's locker. None have ever broken and the spartan was the easiest to install(no shims just drops into the carrier). I had to clearance my stock D30 carrier on my TJ to get the Aussie in there.

I have run an aussie and I liked it alot. I have been told the Spartan is made of better materials than the aussie. I had a lockrite that failed on me for no good reason.

I think the Powertrax would be the better of the 3 then the aussie. I have aussies F&R in my xj and they work great I'm very happy with them. I have no personal experience with the powertrax or the spartan. I got the aussie because they have a very good reputation for quality and the price is hard to beat.

It seems like the Truetrac is a good option for the front. It will require more work than a lunchbox locker though.

i had an aussie up front in last jeep ( auto 35's stock shafts) and run a spartan in the current jeep up front ( auto 35's stock shafts)
i beat on my jeep pretty hard with the trails i run. neither have given me any grievances, but i have noticed the spartan is a bit louder than the aussie. performance wise they are identical. either way is a win.
i have a powertrax in the rear (29spl 8.25) and while it works well i would hate to replace/repair it on the trail. it is way quieter but the simplicity of the spartan to remove/install has me leaning toward it as the best all around option.

the powertrax rear has double the springs as the spartan. keeping track of them and being able to succesfully install them laying down on the trail takes more patience than i care to offer at a time like that.
KISS - keep it simple stupid.
the more parts there are the more there is to screw up or go wrong. if this wasnt a DD it would be spooled f/r

It seems like the Truetrac is a good option for the front. It will require more work than a lunchbox locker though.
That wasn't even one of the options:confused1 Besides the truetrac is a limited slip not a locker, it also cost more to buy and install. So less traction for triple the price is a lose lose in my book.

That wasn't even one of the options:confused1 Besides the truetrac is a limited slip not a locker, it also cost more to buy and install. So less traction for triple the price is a lose lose in my book.

I know i know :)
It just depends what you're using it for. On a DD i would be worried about having a lunchbox in the front, and certain things like ice might be an issue. Feel free to disagree... The D30's are also known for carrier flex (which i assume the truetrac solves). It's only really expensive if you have to have it installed!

I have no information other than on the Aussie. I have been running mine over two years in the front with bias ply iroks with absolutely zero problems. Everyone in my area swears by Aussie.

Aussies front and rear on my jeep I love them but honestly you can't go wrong with any of them

Thank you guys for all your input!!!! I ended up ordering the Spartan I will post any issues after I get it installed. Thanks again!!:eeks1:

killer! super cake install the spring/pin locks are genious!
youll dig the locker. it IS louder at first. so dont worry, it quiets down

You'll be happy, there seems to be no difference.

I had an Aussie in my 8.25, and I have a lockrite in my 30.

I prefer an auto locker in the front only, so I sold the Aussie. The tires seem to be wearing better.

Back