• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Your thoughts on NAPA 23210 HD Fan Clutch

vabeachtennis

NAXJA Forum User
What are people's experience with this mod? I just installed one three days ago along with a new water pump. Here are my observations:

Pro's:
GREAT cooling. I feel like I can let it idle all day and not go past the 210 point.

Cons:

It's loud. Does the sound calm down after a few hundred miles? I miss the sound of my engine. Does it really rob the engine of horsepower? If so how much?

My thoughts is it's overpriced for what it is. Rockauto cost about $20 less. And no it's not going to get any quieter. I haven't seen any drop in mileage. Maybe like .1 or less.

GREAT cooling. I feel like I can let it idle all day and not go past the 210 point.

Yep.

It's loud. Does the sound calm down after a few hundred miles?

Don't expect it to be as quiet as stock overall, but it's not much louder than that when bedded-in and warmed-up. Cold mornings are definitely louder than warm ones until the engine's up to temperature. Took a couple of hundred miles to work itself in. Proper belt tension helps.

Does it really rob the engine of horsepower? If so how much?

Possibly, and not enough that I've ever quantifiably noticed a difference.

If you are referring to the ZJ HD clutch, w/o max cooling (Napa 272310), I ran one a couple of summers ago and found it to be very loud, all the time.
Even saw a slight drop in mileage on long freeway drives.
It might be alright for a trail rig but forget it if a DD.

After 1500 miles, I took it out and replaced it with a stock fan clutch.
A stock engine and cooling system, in good shape, should not need this noise maker. I would worried about it over cooling in cold weather.
You should not have any cooling problems this time of year if the stock stuff is in good shape.

Right now, it is -4 degrees... I run the ZK fan clutch and the engine heats up just fine in this mild winter weather. Is it noisy? Yup, sound a bit like my CJ-2a. Does it help with the summer heat? Yes again. Did it hit the hiway MPGs? For me, not really. I suspect that when the lift goes on this spring, the mileage will drop like a rock. We drive brick walls down the road. A lifted brick wall has greater wind resistance so, of course, the mileage will suffer. A roof rack will really kill your mileage.

But, the fan clutch did not make much of a mileage difference for me. AW4 with CAI, otherwise stock except for the 29" tires which create a 3% slow speedo/odometer error.

For offers or towers this is a sweet easy upgrade. For a DD the FRESH stocker is more then you need.
In 04 I towed a 3840 pound trailer in 107 deg heat. With a bone stock coolant system. I only hand to kill the AC in the foot hills to keep it from puking coolant. A FRESH stock system will do what most need.

Yep.

Don't expect it to be as quiet as stock overall, but it's not much louder than that when bedded-in and warmed-up. Cold mornings are definitely louder than warm ones until the engine's up to temperature. Took a couple of hundred miles to work itself in. Proper belt tension helps.

Possibly, and not enough that I've ever quantifiably noticed a difference.

Yeah, I put some more miles on it today, it does seem like it quieted down a little. At highway speeds it's not noticeable, I could hear the engine more when I pass someone. It's more noticeable from a stop.

If you are referring to the ZJ HD clutch, w/o max cooling (Napa 272310), I ran one a couple of summers ago and found it to be very loud, all the time.

A stock engine and cooling system, in good shape, should not need this noise maker. I would worried about it over cooling in cold weather.
You should not have any cooling problems this time of year if the stock stuff is in good shape.
The only problems so far was the water pump and a bad fan clutch.

For offers or towers this is a sweet easy upgrade. For a DD the FRESH stocker is more then you need.
In 04 I towed a 3840 pound trailer in 107 deg heat. With a bone stock coolant system. I only hand to kill the AC in the foot hills to keep it from puking coolant. A FRESH stock system will do what most need.

We plan to do a lot of traveling with the Jeep and I am going to add a tranny cooler as well, as I may have to tow a trailer from Fla to Va in the summer.So, I'm trying to make this a "heavy duty" traveling rig.

i have it and although it is noisy, i can deal with the added benefit and piece of mind that come with having it. i often am hauling and wheeling in the dunes which makes the 4.0 run HOT. every little bit helps. but it is actually no bigger than the hayden clutch i pulled off my XJ. which was a heavy duty stock replacement from autozone. the napa unit is actually made by hayden as well

If you're overcooling, you have a bad thermostat. I haven't had any and I've went overkill on my cooling setup.
whats the difference between the rockauto and napa one?
About $20. :greensmok

have you read anything about adjusting the spring on the face of the stock unit? Mine was worn out but i took it off and turned the spring 180 degrees or whatever it was, and now it is much more effective! you'll have to search, since it was a long time ago and i don't remember the specifics but it does work. i did it on my MJ too, and limped another year out of a rotted radiator...

have you read anything about adjusting the spring on the face of the stock unit? Mine was worn out but i took it off and turned the spring 180 degrees or whatever it was, and now it is much more effective! you'll have to search, since it was a long time ago and i don't remember the specifics but it does work. i did it on my MJ too, and limped another year out of a rotted radiator...

I should post a picture of my old one, it had what i guess was a combination of silicon and dirt all over the front of it.

Back