• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: 1988-2001 xj cherokee

BOB8789

NAXJA Forum User
I would like to buy an 88 or later cherokee with the following:

I6 engine
manual transmission
2 doors
small lift and sligthly larger tires

It doesn't have to be a showcar, it just needs to be mechanically sound, ready to drive and rust free. I would like to spend around 1k up or down.

Thanks

There may be just what you need in colorado4X4.org under rigs. I think it's a 97XJ.

Ok, thanks. What price range would be better for a good condition, lower mileage model? It doesn't need to be super clean like I said, but I want a decent truck. I just have a fairly limited budget and would like to have a little left over for any maintenance or upgrades.

Anything with a 4.0/5 speed, rust free, good mechanical shape on a mild lift and tires is gonna set you back around $2K - $3K. The older, the least expensive, but you won't be able to get into anything '96+ as described above for much less than $3K - most will be in the $3500-$4500 range.

I could handle somewhere in that range of price, I don't mind a little older, I would like to stay in the early 90 range. Thanks for the advice.

there is a 95 in the springs manual trans 4.0 green but not lifted for like 12oo i think

also an 88 that sounds like it has air in the cooling system for 700

both in the springs

I found a few jeeps in my price range that look decent. I have a question though, are the 2.5l engines something that I should avoid? Also, how much does an ax-15 tranny go for used?

I'll sell you my 88.....
100_0285.jpg

100_0283.jpg

997717095_jsC5H-M.jpg

PA310009Medium.jpg

1988 Laredo
208xxx on the odometer
65xxx on the engine (I have paperwork)
AC has been converted and works
Unknown 3"ish lift (Rancho?)
D30 - 297 shafts - Lockright
D35 - Lockright
Big O Bigfoot M/T LT235-75 x 15 (basically brand new)
New cooling system (radiator, water pump, t-stat, hoses, electric fan temp sensor, later model eletric fan, etc...)
New distributor, distributor cap, rotor, plugs, wires
Ford 19# 4 hole fuel injectors
New vacuum lines (kit from Crown)
New brakes
New Tom Wood drive shafts
Factory gas tank and t-case skids (metal)
Pioneer CD head unit
Nice interior for an 88
Headliner doesn't sag
Some surface rust spots, but it's not a rust bucket.
Windows are slow
Power door locks needs the Greg Smith from NAXJA fix done to them
Custom cargo box in rear for tools, parts, books, etc... (I have it stuffed full)
Spare front axle shafts
Spare rear drive shaft

...and it's located in Colorado.

Last edited:
Back