• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

can not get the tie-rod to turn, trying to do an alignment

If a large pipe wrench and penetrating oil doesn't do it, then I drilled a small hole in the rod and poured ATF mixed with acetone in the hole and let it sit for a day.

I'd hit the tie rod, where it is threaded, with a torch and lean on it with an 18" pipe wrench until it spins.
Crude but effective.

EDIT: ok, silly question - but are you sure you loosened the clamps that keep everything in place enough? If so... bring out the blowtorch and get medieval.

used a jack to break them loose...

it is barely turning... sneaks when it does... so I am going to have to work it a bit

ok now which way do I turn if I need to widen the front/shorten the back of the tires?

oxy-acetaline (sp?) and get the ends glowing, then spray PB where threads go into the ends. turn while still glowing....itll move :D

I used a big pipe wrench coupled along with a long piece of round stock big enough to fit around the handle of said pipe wrench and stomped on it repeatedly. PB Blaster also helped.

Now is probably a good time to replace the crappy stock tie rod with something like the Big Daddy tie rod or the IRO one is good too. They come with jam nuts that much easier to work with.

Actually now would be a good time to un-screw it all the way off and put some anti-seize on the tre's.

the stock one is trash anyways, take it off... get a V8 ZJ one from the nearest junkyard for a whopping 10 or 20 bucks, stick it in your vise, and crack it loose with a pipe wrench before installing it. Works every time for me, and the adjuster is bigger in diameter and shorter and has a big slit in one side so it turns easier in the first place.

the stock one is trash anyways, take it off... get a V8 ZJ one from the nearest junkyard for a whopping 10 or 20 bucks, stick it in your vise, and crack it loose with a pipe wrench before installing it. Works every time for me, and the adjuster is bigger in diameter and shorter and has a big slit in one side so it turns easier in the first place.

I did this as well, couldn't turn the stocker(probably cuz it was bent) the new one is allot beefier. I got mine from autozone tho. Can post part numbers if you want to get a new one. I wish my jy had more jeeps!

Back