• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Search for Snow 1/29

TORX

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
In the past 29 days the temperature around here has averaged around 50 degrees, and for the most part we've had very little rain in the forecast. This means the snow levels have gone through the roof, and what little snow we had was rapidly melting.

With the South End Hypothermia Run scheduled for next weekend, I was very curious to check out how bad the conditions really were. I had Ryan (nightfoam) riding with me, and two other rigs from Piston's Wild along for the adventure.

My goal was to keep the day short, and just get a feel for the snow condition and levels. We first started up the 4211, and found snow around 3000' (for reference on the 1rst we hit snow at 1500'). The snow was extremely heavy and wet, and parts of the road were partially drifted.
IMG_0001.jpg

~7psi seemed to do the trick. We continued up the 4211 and eventually connected onto the 53rd where it leveled off at 3500'. We made steady progress over the 53 to the large rock quarry. This was the place I had picked out where we would be camping and igloo building.
IMG_0002.jpg

There's maybe two feet of snow at most. (n)
IMG_0005.jpg

IMG_0003.jpg

Took a quick lunch break.
IMG_0004.jpg

From there we continued on and started heading down the 42rd. I was kicking it back into 2wd within a mile.

Took a detour on the way back, and did some exploring. No snow at the Silver Star trail head (3000').
IMG_0008.jpg

It was a fun day even though the conditions weren't the greatest. The snow although it was wet and heavy, seemed to cooperate. There were a few areas where the water created some washouts in the snow. This required a bit of off camber crawling near the cliff side, which is always a fun time.

Ryan should have a lot more pictures to add.

has anyone else checked the NOAA site today they are calling for snow this next week we might be in luck... fivendime kill another cow!!!! lol

Should have gone on a Sunday!

Just finished the pictures, also here is the GPX from yesterday if you're curious where we went.

http://www.filedropper.com/2011-01-29055614p

I know it seems sketch but its fine to download the file

Now pictures. Dustin broke trail probably 2/3ds of the time but occasionally swapped with Douglas in the TJ to take a break from the strenous work.

dougleading.jpg

We also had Curtis and his wife(?) tagging along in their 1970 FJ40, sweet rig, looked very at home in the hills.

FJ40snacktime.jpg

snacktime.jpg

There were a number of spots where they snow was made crappier but getting completely washed off the road by running water (I'm assuming the mostly from the same rain event that washed out Lolo Pass down in the MHNF.

snowwashout.jpg

dustinleading.jpg

There was only one really sketchy part where the snow on the right (also downhill) side of the road was completely gone while there was still 2+ feet on the left side. Curtis' wife got out and walked that section, I wish I had too, it was a little scary...

dustinwashout.jpg

As Dustin mentioned, we took a quick detour past Camp USA (what I could only assume was a militant group training in the woods) up to the Silver Star trailhead. I've got another picture from here but I think I'll save it for a rainy day or maybe election season...

silverstargroup.jpg

We finished at Four Corners near the Larch Corrections Center where the group aired up before heading back into town and Mt Hood made a brief appearance.

airingup.jpg

mthood.jpg

Thanks again for letting me tag along Dustin.

Last edited:
Back