• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Freeze plug on back of head. HELP!

w0lf19

NAXJA Forum User
So, the freeze plug at the back of the cylinder head on my 96 XJ is leaking. I need to change it, but I really don't have the dough on hand to pull the head, which will require new gaskets all around. I read somewhere at one point that you could pull the instrument cluster, and drill a hole in the firewall just behind the head and pull it out that way. Has anyone done this? What all is required to do it that way??? I've got a new set of plugs, I just need to get them on there.

Thanks!

You would have to completely pull the dash and even then you would have to cut a big hole, then how are you going to seal it back up?

A head gasket seems a lot easier. Don't forget the right sealer on the freeze plugs.

hmmmm I would think the cluster is far too off to the left( from the cab view out) to be centered with the head. My 99 xj is losing about a shot glass a day of coolant also from the freeze plug... not sure if its the side one or the head one... either way good luck man, I feel your pain.

Does anyone have a pictoral type guide to removing the head on a 96 XJ? That may make it a lot easier for me to feel comfortable doing it, as it is really intimidating trying to do it with the Haynes manual.

Does anyone have a pictoral type guide to removing the head on a 96 XJ? That may make it a lot easier for me to feel comfortable doing it, as it is really intimidating trying to do it with the Haynes manual.

Do yourself a favor and pick up a FSM (Factory Service Manual). They are more expensive than Haynes, but well worth their weight in gold. They are more detailed and accurate, and are what the professionals use.

If you have a engine hoist you dont even have to remove the intake/exhaust manifold. You will only need a head gasket and valve cover gasket/grommets.

Drain coolant, remove valve cover, remove rockers/fulcrums/pushrods(keep them in order), unplug all sensors and disconnect throttle cable/TV cable if auto/cruise control cable/fuel line/radiator hose/heater hose. Unbolt the exhaust at the down pipe. Remove all head bolts(you should replace these unless you are sure they have only been torqued once) and then hook up the hoist and pull it out

i just did this on a friends jeep. we just pulled the tranny. we did both the freezeplugs while we had it out.

Back