• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Dana 44 "Thick" Gear Set Questions

comanche91

NAXJA Forum User
After snapping two rear axles on my D35 MJ rear I finally located an MJ D44 for my Comanche and it's in the shop getting regeared from 3.54 to 4.09. I knew that would require a a different carrier. I had what I thought was a 3.93+ Trac-Loc carrier that I supplied along w. a new Dana 4.09 R&P set. Well, turns out the carrier I supplied was for the numerically lower ratio gears (3.73 and below) and they can't use the new 4.09 gears with this carrier. My bad. But, using a 4.10 "thick" R&P set would allow me to use this Trac-Loc carrier. So I told them to go ahead and install a thick gearset and figure I can sell the new Dana non-thick 4.09 R&P later.

I have zero experience using these thick gear sets. Are there any pros or cons from doing this? I know one con is that they cost more. :eek: A pro might be a stronger ring gear since it's thicker? But that also means more mass to turn. Anyone have experience using these thick gearset in the past? As far as use, my MJ is strictly an on-road rig and has a 4.6L Hesco stroker installed. Thanks

I'm using a thick gear set for my d30. I've got a 242 tcase so I didn't think I could use a locker up front. It was cheaper for me to get the thick gearset and not have to buy a new carrier. I don't see a problem using thick gears. I see plenty of people that do. While the gears may weigh a little more because of the extra metal I can't see that hurting anything.

No problem using the thick gear set, we do it sometimes to save the cost of a new carrier when a full case locker isn't getting installed.

Okay - thanks much, good to hear. Appreciate the info.
beerchug.gif

I'm using a thick gear set for my d30. I've got a 242 tcase so I didn't think I could use a locker up front. It was cheaper for me to get the thick gearset and not have to buy a new carrier. I don't see a problem using thick gears. I see plenty of people that do. While the gears may weigh a little more because of the extra metal I can't see that hurting anything.

Never seen thick D30 gears ?????

brain fart. I ended up a used open carrier up front. I didn't have the extra cash to buy a new carrier at the time. I thought I had bought front and rear thick gears. I've spent the last year remodeling my house so I've only gotten the rear done. With all that it's kinda hard to keep it straight

I saw a set of thick D30 gears on ebay not too long ago.

What??? The seller was lost...
It was a legitimate seller.
Hmm, maybe it was a low pinion kit though. I'm probably wrong about it...

We recently put a set of thick 4.88 gears in a front LPD44. Setup up was no shims on ring side, and like one thick shim on opposite side.

I had to scavenge some D50 ring gear bolts to use, as the ones in the master install kit are for use with the regular gears. Tooth pattern looks really really good, though. Haven't installed/driven it yet.

I googled and found some thick gears for the LP, but it looks like they might not exist for the HP.

I'll throw this in here. I have a XJ D44 with 4.09 gears. I'm not the original owner. Is there a way to tell if they are thick gears or standard gears? The diff is a traclock if that helps.

look at the part # on teh ring gear, then google it. that should tell you.

Is there a way to tell if they are thick gears or standard gears?

Pretty easy to tell.. If the ring gear covers half your cross pin, chances are you have them. I know some you can grind down a few teeth to get cross pin out.. Thick cut gears, you have to remove the ring gear from carrier to get it out. At least thats how my D30 is.

Back