• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ticking sounds from crank sensor?

chopperz

NAXJA Forum User
my 2001 when in idle starts making a ticking sound. so when i poped the hood, its coming from the top of the crank assemble on the passenger lower side of the block. has anybody ever experienced this? is the sensor going bad?

So you are saying the sound is comming from around the starter area?

A little more description on what ticking means would help.

How often?
When it is running? Does it change with engine speed?
Does it do it when in gear and in neutral as well?

crank sensor is on the drivers side-- cam sensor is on the passenger side where a distributor would be located on older models.

I've heard the canister purge valve make ticking sounds on many of the newer ones-- located just above the heater blower motor.

I've heard the canister purge valve make ticking sounds on many of the newer ones-- located just above the heater blower motor.

That'd be my bet. I can' hear out of one ear so sounds come from only one side. Only a stethoscope can tell you for sure. 3 feet of small dia. hose, one end in your ear (watch out for rotating engine parts).

I can' hear out of one ear................ 3 feet of small dia. hose, one end in your ear (watch out for rotating engine parts).

Maybe I'm just tired but something about this just struck me as funny. :jester:

Back