• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Moab's on an XJ?

speedsmith

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I'm a new guy here. I'll try and get some pics of my XJ posted tonight.

I have a 2000 XJ Sport that I bought with a lift already installed (3.5" I think). It currently has 31" mud tires on 15"rims, which are way overkill for what I use the XJ for.

With yesterday's big snow I lost a tire to a broken tree branch in a snow bank. Long story short, I have a chance to pick up a set of stock 18" JK wheels.

I know I'll need the adapters to go from XK to JK, but I'm wondering what the fitment will be like. Anyone have a pic of an XJ with the 18" Sahara moab wheels?

18's on a XJ? Buy a damn car.

I know I'll need the adapters to go from XK to JK, but I'm wondering what the fitment will be like. Anyone have a pic of an XJ with the 18" Sahara moab wheels?

Welcome to NAXJA :)

Just FYI - straight-up picture requests aren't really allowed in this forum (see here for the rule on that). However, check the bottom of this page for similar threads, hit up the search, or check xjdb.com for pictures.

Nominated.

Last edited:

Hey newbie stop trying to scare off our other newbie's.

Welcome to NAXJA Smith. I just got some 41x13.5 18's let the tard hater hate.

Like casm said pic requests aren't allowed. Soo post up some pics of your jeep =) let's see this thing.

Thanks for the info guys. Sorry didn't know pic request were off limits.

I stopped by the local Jeep dealer in hopes of seeing a Sahara JK and found one. Busted out the tape measure and they are 1" larger than what I have, so they should fit. It's gonna look a bunch different. lol

Current pics.

feb2010083.jpg
[/IMG]

feb2010082.jpg
[/IMG]

I stopped by the local Jeep dealer in hopes of seeing a Sahara JK and found one. Busted out the tape measure and they are 1" larger than what I have, so they should fit. It's gonna look a bunch different. lol

Maybe I'm misunderstanding here, but when you say "1" larger than what I have," which model of Wrangler are you referring to?

Reason I ask is that Moabs from a TJ were always 16", but there are 17" and 18" Moabs on JKs (IIRC). XJs didn't have wheels larger than 15" from the factory in the US market, so I'm a little lost right now.

Current pics.

Fixed it for ya.

feb2010083.jpg

feb2010082.jpg

XJs didn't have wheels larger than 15" from the factory in the US market, so I'm a little lost right now.

Classics and Freedom Edition XJs both came with 16" wheels. Icons for the Classics, and those "something-or-other-stars" on the Freedom Ed.

I got the impression he was referring to the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo; he's currently got 31s, and the JK wheels/tires are ~32", IIRC.

Classics and Freedom Edition XJs both came with 16" wheels. Icons for the Classics, and those "something-or-other-stars" on the Freedom Ed.

Interesting; the Classics that I've seen have all had 15" wheels, but that's not to say they didn't get 16s. Haven't looked too closely at Freedom Editions (only ever saw a couple up close), but as a footnote my 60th had 15" wheels.

I got the impression he was referring to the overall diameter of the wheel/tire combo; he's currently got 31s, and the JK wheels/tires are ~32", IIRC.

Yep, though you can run that size (in a 265/75R16) on TJ Moabs as well.

Here are the two wheels- these are the only wheels I'm aware of that came on XJs that weren't 15".

Same wheels as some ZJ Limiteds- I never remember what they're properly called
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/3183347_3_full.jpg
My junk- from a 2000 Classic
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/New shoes/DSCF5618.jpg

Yeah, he could run 32s in 16" flavor, but I believe the only 16" tire offered stock on a JK is a 245/75/16, so if he's sourcing larger than 30" wheels and tires from an up-optioned JK, they almost have to be 17-18" diameter (edit- drunk typing) wheels and ~32" tires.

Last edited:
Here are the two wheels- these are the only wheels I'm aware of that came on XJs that weren't 15".

Same wheels as some ZJ Limiteds- I never remember what they're properly called
http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii244/AHhub/forum stuff/3183347_3_full.jpg

Actually... Those look damned close to if not the same as what I had on my 60th XJ. That's not to say that they weren't necessarily used on the ZJ first, but the ZJ had been out of production for 3 years by the time that XJ was built. Also interesting :)

Gunmetal Eccos, if I'm not mistaken. Nice. Mine had the regular version of those on it when I got it; always wished it had had the Gunmetal ones.

Yeah, he could run 32s in 16" flavor, but I believe the only 16" tire offered stock on a JK is a 245/75/16, so if he's sourcing larger than 30" wheels and tires from an up-optioned JK, they almost have to be 17-18" diameter (edit- drunk typing) wheels and ~32" tires.

Got it. FWIW, TJ Moabs were 245/75R16 stock - at least, that's the size of the Goodyear Wranglers that were on mine when I got them as 2-mile takeoffs. Understood on the JK sizing differences, though.

Give me another three drinks or so and I'll be right there with ya, BTW.

Back