• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where is my oil going?

ruger81

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i have a 92 4door with a 95 4.0 HO i have replaced all the gaskets this thing is clean you can almost wipe it with a white cloth.. about every two tanks i use 1 quart of oil do see any smoke.. then sometime it doesnt use any i put a peice of carpet under it in my garage nothing i have not a clue.. the engine has around 153,000mi. give or take runs well.. please help..... need ideas thanks

I would recommend starting with a compression test. A good "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of the engine.

Get a hold of a compression gauge (can be rented from many parts stores if you don't have one or don't want to buy one), then perform a dry compression test on all cylinders, then a wet test. (SEARCH) for the procedure here.

The compression spec. for the 4.0 is 120-150 psi, with no more than 30 psi variation between cylinders.

If the compression test reveals no issues, I would then suspect you have worn valve guide seals. Those can be replaced without removing the head, just the valve cover.

While you're poking around under the hood, check the integrity of all your CCV hoses and fittings. Make sure that the hoses are not kinked, cracked, disconnected or melted and that the grommets in the valve cover fit nicely. Be sure you can blow through the hoses freely.

Check to see if your air filter is saturated wit oil, too.

SAE says one (1) quart oil consumption per 500 miles is acceptable.

This issue came up back in the eighties with a customer and a brand-new Volvo 240 series. The customer was throwing fits about the oil consumption and the service manager ended up getting a letter from SAE to that effect.

Check your CCV system and air filter.

I would recommend starting with a compression test. A good "snapshot in time" of the internal condition of the engine.

Get a hold of a compression gauge (can be rented from many parts stores if you don't have one or don't want to buy one), then perform a dry compression test on all cylinders, then a wet test. (SEARCH) for the procedure here.

The compression spec. for the 4.0 is 120-150 psi, with no more than 30 psi variation between cylinders.
thank you i will do that this afternoon when i installed this 4.0 they all were over 160, but i will check again.

If the compression test reveals no issues, I would then suspect you have worn valve guide seals. Those can be replaced without removing the head, just the valve cover.

While you're poking around under the hood, check the integrity of all your CCV hoses and fittings. Make sure that the hoses are not kinked, cracked, disconnected or melted and that the grommets in the valve cover fit nicely. Be sure you can blow through the hoses freely.

Check to see if your air filter is saturated wit oil, too.
thanks i have checked my air filter not alot of oil is present.. very little if any.

SAE says one (1) quart oil consumption per 500 miles is acceptable.

This issue came up back in the eighties with a customer and a brand-new Volvo 240 series. The customer was throwing fits about the oil consumption and the service manager ended up getting a letter from SAE to that effect.

Check your CCV system and air filter.
im onily getting about 120mi to a tank very poor fuel milage!

mine uses enough oil that people have told me I should charge oil money instead of gas money for giving people rides or carrying parts... most of it goes into the air filter housing or out the RMS though.

Does your oil smell like gasoline? You could possibly have an overfueling problem washing the oil off the cylinder walls and burning it.

If that were the case, you would appear that you had an oil generating machine not an oil using machine.

If that were the case, you would appear that you had an oil generating machine not an oil using machine.

Yes, to a point. It depends upon the amount of overfueling involved here.

I'm familiar with "making oil" with my fleet of diesel trucks that had mechanical injection pumps and also with carbureted engines.

BTW oldman, did you receive my private message regarding stroker recipes?

today i replaced the CTS. and while i was there i bought a new MAT sensor as well.. also last night i checked the compression.. about 158 per hole the lowest was 150 the high was 158 that was number one.. then i attacked the ccv system the back elbow and line to manifold completly plugged the font a little plugged in the elbow..

also ran a test on the map sensor came back fine

so next im gonna drive it for a few weeks and see...
does the front hose on the valve cover. need to be small as the back one or can it be a 3/4 hose

Be sure all CCV hoses are OEM style. If yours are bad, you can get an entire new set from the dealer for around $35. Some parts stores carry these parts as well.

Back