• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Can you swap a 93 trans with a 95?

Rattle Trap

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1993 Cherokee with a 5spd manual trans. I am in the process of replacing the clutch slave cylinder for the second time. The 1993 Cherokees have the slave cylinder located inside the transmissions which requires having to remove the transmission in order to replace the slave cylinder (brilliant design!!!) to make matters even worse, the slave cylinder is composed of plastic. They do not last very long because they are subjected to a lot of heat from the engine and trans. My question is, since I plan on restoring this Jeep and keeping it for a long time; Can the transmission be replaced with one from a 1995 Cherokee? Are they interchangable? My reason for wanting to replace the transmission with one from a 1995 is that the clutch slave cylinder was moved to the outside of the transmission on the 1995. They are much easier to replace and are not subjected to as much heat. Jeep must have realized they made a mistake and corrected the problem. I appreciate any advice you guys have. Hopefully some of you out there have experience with this.

Short answer is yes. As 1tuffmj pointed out, you can also just swap over the later bellhousing, retainer and slave. If you change the tranny, double check the diameter of the input shaft. I believe the OD changed somewhere along the line and you might need to change the pilot bearing.

Thank you for the replies. I did not know I could replace just the bell housing without replacing the entire trans. I think this is the best way to go. I will start looking for a bell housing from a 95. The junk yards should have plenty of them. One good thing about the "cash for clunkers" program is that it made it easy for us Cherokee owners to get parts.

I dunno. The cash-4-clunkers let a lot of the salvage yards destroy a lot of stock. It made it much harder to find a running engine. The bearing retainer mentioned is the transmission input bearing retainer. It looks different on the external setup versus the internal setup.

Back