• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Thinking of Steering Box Rebuild

SFW516

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 90 XJ with power steering and I have quite a bit of play in my steering box so I am weighing my options. Does anyone know a good source for a rebuild kit with more than just seals? And how do I know I am getting the right kit for my box?

I am thinking maybe its better to just go for a new box. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Buy a new box,it will be worth it in the long run.Its really easy to F-up a box rebuild.

If you have never had one apart, and dont know the inner workings, procedures, get a new or reman box. Use your old one as a learning object. There is quite a few writeups out there I found when I was dissassembling for drilling and tapping for hydro ports.

I rebuild and port a lot of boxes for guys on here, but having play in your steering doesn't necessarily mean it is the gear box at fault. More commonly it is a track bar, crack in the mounting for the steering gear, loose mounting bolts or tie rod ends.

Back