• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no low beams, gojeeps harness not the culprit

DeftwillP

NAXJA Forum User
I've had a gojeep harness for some time on my jeep with no issues. Recently I lost low beams and just assumed that the relay was bad. Both of the fuses in the harness were ok. Went ahead and replaced the relay to no avail.

I did my due diligence in searching first here on NAXJA. Went ahead and replaced the headlight switch and checked the plug behind the driver's side light and still nothing.

I know that both the high and low filaments are good. I can switch the "signal wires" from the stock headlamp plug to the relays and manage to power up the low beam relay when the dash says my highs are on. But then when I switch to low beams, I don't get highs.

Any thoughts?

Refresh/check the grounds for the light and relays?. Sounds like maybe the ground for the low beam isn't doin' it...or the power for the low beam.

Sounds like you're not getting power all the way from the headlight switch to the stock headlamp plug. I'd check for 12V output at the back of the headlight switch. If it's good there, check at the back of the headlight beam select switch. If it's good there, but not at the headlight plug, the stock low beam wire (now your signaling wire) must either have a bad connection or possibly a break somewhere along the line.

Where is the headlight beam select switch? I assume its on the column.

From your post, I cannot tell if this is your problem or not, but read post #10 in this thread and give it a try: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=21910&highlight

This is a not-so-well-known issue when using upgraded headlight harnesses in 1997+ XJs with factory fog lights. I had the same issue on my 1998.

Edit: Try option #2 - pulling fuses 3 and 4 from the kick panel fuse box.

Last edited:
First question.... Do you own or can you borrow a VOM (multi-meter) to use for testing?

There is a thermistor timer that allows the headlights to be left on and will time out and shut them off which IIRC is located behind the kick panel on passenger side beneath and to the right of the glove compartment..... Check factory fuses and relays since the aftermarket harness has already been tested by swapping the signal wires....

Where is the headlight beam select switch? I assume its on the column.

Yep, sorry, not too easy to get to.

SteeringColumnWiring.jpg

While it won't tell you exactly where the problem is, it looks like you could also test to see if the beam select switch is working by checking for 12V at Fuse 4 & 5 with the low beams on or Fuse 3 & 16 with the high beams on. 3 & 4 supply the driver side headlight plug (which I assume you're using for your relay signals) and 3 & 16 supply the passenger side headlight plug.

I'm not equipped with factory fogs so that shouldn't be it. I can check the fuses in the kicks later but I have to pull my q-logics.

Tapatalky

So all of those fuses look good. I identified the hi/lo connector, pulled it and plugged it back in. Nothing there.

So all of those fuses look good. I identified the hi/lo connector, pulled it and plugged it back in. Nothing there.

Just noticed a typo in my above post. Should say 3 & 4 are Driver side and 5 & 16 are Passenger side. Also, what I meant to suggest was not checking the fuses themselves, but rather checking to see if the slot they plug into is receiving 12V when you turn your highs and or lows on. I wasn't really suspecting the fuses were bad, it was more just a way to try to figure out where the flow of electricity is stopping along the way from your headlight switch to the relay. Also, did you check that hi/lo connector for power with the headlight switch turned on?

Back