• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where to measure stock transmission mount height

tsill

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched all over and found out that there are two different heights for the trans mount, either 1.5" or 3" depending on exhaust hangar position. My question is where to measure the height from on the mount.

1 Measure from the mount flat on a table to the top of the threads
2 Measure from the mount flat on a table to the top of the metal bracket
3 Measure to top of rubber isolater/bottom of threads

The reason why I'm so confused is my #1 measurement is 3", #2 measurement is 1.5", and #3 measurement is 2.5".

I'm guessing my mount is .5" worn out but just not sure. To make matters worse I bought anchor part # 2625 for my 2000 with aw4 and that may not be the correct mount and have had vibes for a long time. I want to make sure I get the correct mount so everything is lined up correctly. Trying to get this done today so any help greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
the 2000 and 2001 have a different crossmember and mount with things centered instead of offset like previous years... the mount is much more expensive for some stupid reason. Easy way to get around it is to get a stock crossmember from a 91-99 auto XJ at the boneyard and swap it in, then you can use the old style mount.

There's a good chance you can pick a stock crossmember up for a song on your local NAXJA chapter classifieds since a lot of people upgrade away from them and they end up on the scrap pile.

Thanks for that. Well I have a lifetime on the anchor 2625 that I have and it is centered. Getting one locally today around 12. Any idea where to measure height from?

Thanks so much for the quick response. Until I got back in here to check the forums I was spinning my dang crossmember around and trying to figure if I just installed the thing backwards or what.

not sure where to measure... I'd go with #2 personally. Seem to recall the mount being taller on one side than the other though.

So I looked at Daystars poly mounts and they say I'm supposed to use the 1.5" mount:

If exhaust bracket next to the transmission mount is above the transmission support bracket, use this bracket 1.5"

So I think even though the Anchor 2625 is centered and not offset that it is still 1.5 inches too tall. Do you think there is a possibility that this is causing vibrations in some of our jeeps? My driveshaft is shimmed correctly at 1 degree down but if the trans is mounted to at 3" instead of 1.5" tall that would surely bind things I would think.

Just measured the anchor 2625. It is 3" tall and offset. So I don't think I can use it even if I change crossmembers because the 1.5" height of what I need compared to the 3" 2625.
Thoughts?

This is easy -

If your exhaust runs below the bracket you need the 3". If your exhaust is above the bracket you need the 1.5".

As for measuring, it is the overall height of the mount itself. Put it on a table and measure how high it is (excluding and protruding studs). If it is still in the car simply measure between the crossmember and where the mount bolts to the trans. I think you are way overthinking this.

Yes I am overthinking it becuase my Jeep has vibes for years now and has the same style trans mount on it that I now know is wrong. My exhaust is over the crossmember and I currently have a center mounted mount. It is a 2.5" mount that should be 1.5". Now try to find me a 1.5" factory mount somewhere. The only center mount I've found is for 4 cylinders all transmissions or 6 cylinders with manual trans.

Finally found out the one listed at quadratech is 1.5" and center mount. It is labeled as 84-00 cherokee with manual trans.

Thanks for clarification that I need the 1.5" mount. Sounds ridiculous but I want to make sure I eliminate anything that is causing my vibes.

This is easy -

If your exhaust runs below the bracket you need the 3". If your exhaust is above the bracket you need the 1.5".

As for measuring, it is the overall height of the mount itself. Put it on a table and measure how high it is (excluding and protruding studs). If it is still in the car simply measure between the crossmember and where the mount bolts to the trans. I think you are way overthinking this.

When you say below the bracket do you mean below the crossmember? Sorry if this all seems to simple but I can't seem to figure out why the exhaust even matters. It's bolted to the engine why would it ever have two different levels? And I cant really measure from the mounting surface on the trans and the crossmember becuase my mount seems to be squished anyway? Not to mention with the mount removed I could lower/raise that distance anywhere in between.

While I'm at it I'm trying to figure out how to make sure the engine is centered correctly after the more motor mount install. Any tricks/measurements would be great.

I can't seem to figure out why the exhaust even matters.

On the older style mounts there is an exhaust hanger which attaches to a bracket between the mount and the transfercase. The exhaust was routed above the crossmember.

On my 96 from the bottom up is this order: crossmember, mount, flat bracket, trans. case. Hope this help some in understanding. I can run out tomorrow and find my old mount and measure the height if you want.

Installing a poly mount will most likely result in MORE felt vibrations.

i wont be going with the poly mount. and i was wrong about the 1.5" mount for the manual trans jeep. the dimensions are these:

Top to bottom: 2 1/4"

Bottom to top of bolt: 3"

Total length of bracket: 7 1/4"

Width of bracket: 3 1/2"

Center hole to center hole 6 1/4"

So I still have not been able to source a true 1.5" replacement mount. I'm going through all this stuff to try and make sure I get exactly the part people with 2000 and 2001 xj's need so that if your lifted it will eliminate a potential head scratcher when tracking down vibes.

When you say below the bracket do you mean below the crossmember? Sorry if this all seems to simple but I can't seem to figure out why the exhaust even matters. It's bolted to the engine why would it ever have two different levels? And I cant really measure from the mounting surface on the trans and the crossmember becuase my mount seems to be squished anyway? Not to mention with the mount removed I could lower/raise that distance anywhere in between.

While I'm at it I'm trying to figure out how to make sure the engine is centered correctly after the more motor mount install. Any tricks/measurements would be great.

First, if the motor mounts are all bolted in then the engine is where it is supposed to be. There are no adjustments.

Again, measure from the TOP of the crossmember (where the mount and the crossmember meet) and the bottom of the trans (where the mount and the trans meet). It should be approx 1.5" or approx 3". That being said my stock mount measured out at 2.5" because it was so hammered. But there are only 2 choices - the 1.5" or the 3".

As for the exhaust - it always runs over the crossmember. There is a bracket that holds the pipe in place. If the bracket is above the exhaust then you need the 3" mount. If the bracket is below the exhaust then you use the 1.5" mount.

Post a pic of what you have.

Ok on the engine. It seems mine could move back about 3/4" but I will leave it. As I'm looking down the driveshaft it looks cocked to the passenger side as it runs into the diff.

My bracket is above the exhaust. So I need the 3" but can find no place that sells it. I have looked at 3 different ones and they are all 2.25" if they are centered mounts. The only mount I see that is a 3" mount is offset. I have a crossmember that only has the four holes centered. I understand that I can pick up a crossmember from an earlier Jeep but my crossmember is stock. Why cant I find a mount that is 3" and centered?

And I cant measure the distance right now becuase the mount is out and trans is jacked up. I'm sure I could lower it as low and the engine mounts would allow but obviously that does me no good.

Keep helping the dumb guy please.

I went thru a lot locating a tranny mount for my 2000 - NV3550. Per the Fiche, same mount for both AX4 and NV3550 52059347AA

I found a Crown Mount from AutoPartsGiant for about $51 OTD
http://www.autopartsgiant.com/parts...chanic_google&apgid=Z1255677643W4ad81ecbbf199 52059347AB

Received it pretty quick to as I seem to remember, 4-5 days.

It has been on the Cherokee now since late Oct for about 5k miles, working good so far.

Last edited:
FWIW,my 2000 w/AW4 trans,the mount is 2-1/4" high and centered.I am the original owner and the mount has never been replaced!

Autozone 15346 - 2000 XJ, 4.0, Auto, 4x4

Thanks for that. I went to the junkyard and got a new crossmember. I'm not sure if that autozone mount is centered? Probably is, and it's probably 3". I ended up with a 32 dollar mount and a 25 dollar crossmember. Saved some cash but what a nightmare. I guess I was way thrown off becuase the mount that was installed on my jeep was not the correct one in the first place. Still in the process of jerking the trans over to line up and then I'm done.

Sorry for the drama.

http://208.101.10.250/~naxjaor1/forum/showthread.php?t=1051154&page=2

Well I read this thread and apparently the high part of the angled mount goes towards the front angled down toward the rear driveshaft. I know I dont have a very good track record with this transmission mount thing but the only possible way I could mount mine was with the angle mounted with the low part toward the front and high part toward the back. It simply would not even come close any other way. My trans is now where it should be and the rear driveshaft seems to be pointing directly at the rear end now instead of being cocked. I dont really understand the angled mount anyway because when the weight of the trans is on it it flattens out anyway.

FWIW,my 2000 w/AW4 trans,the mount is 2-1/4" high and centered.I am the original owner and the mount has never been replaced!

Three posts in a row? I know you all are banging it out on a Friday nite but I'm still Jeepin!

So I am I to think that the 1.5" and 3" specs are only up to 99? Now I have lots more questions. I have the 3" mount on, should I leave it? I know my ds angle is gonna be different. It's currently out being rechecked again so I cant get my angles right now.

Is the only reason why folks get a t/c drop kit because reducing from a 3" mount to a 1.5" mount would make the exhaust hit the crossmember? I have a sye so that doesnt affect me now but just wondering.

Back