• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Fabricating a receiver. T joint?

Airsmitty

NAXJA Forum User
I'm making a front receiver for my XJ, And i've come up with this design. Material is 1/4" receiver tube and 1/4" 2x3.

WELDIN.jpg

Will this be strong or would it be better to cut the rest of the 2x3 and butt weld it? I'm just getting into fabricating my own stuff and I figured this would be an important weld to get right!

if your putting the hitch into 2x3, why not cut a square hole to slip the hitch into?

I made a bumper like yours above, and even though I tacked everything before finish welding, it still distorted a bit and put a "smile" into the bumper because the ends pulled up a bit.

I actually just finished a new rear bumper and I cut a hole to slip the hitch into. makes for a clean look, strong, easy to weld and no distortion. it didn't take much time at all, measure and mark where you want it, 4 cuts with a zip disc on the front, 4 more on the back, slide the hitch right in, and weld.

good luck

if your putting the hitch into 2x3, why not cut a square hole to slip the hitch into?

I made a bumper like yours above, and even though I tacked everything before finish welding, it still distorted a bit and put a "smile" into the bumper because the ends pulled up a bit.

I actually just finished a new rear bumper and I cut a hole to slip the hitch into. makes for a clean look, strong, easy to weld and no distortion. it didn't take much time at all, measure and mark where you want it, 4 cuts with a zip disc on the front, 4 more on the back, slide the hitch right in, and weld.

good luck

I thought about that for a while, but i decided to keep it low profile in the front. Though I've heard people question it's strength, it's designed to bolt across to my tow hook brackets like Rusty's Receiver, and the bolts barely fit on the 3" part. If that's not strong enough I was also planning on having it tie in to the Swaybar mounting points like a drawtite does with some angle iron.

Jeeperjohn, I was even thinking about throwing on some trapezoidal plate like some rear hitches I've seen around. I think that'd be do well in the for warmth and fuzziness!

i just did mine the exact same way you did. minus the plug weld. i don't think that would be needed when you weld it on both sides, just remember to wrap your corners and it'll be good to go.

be careful with the warping though. mine did... it's not too bad so i'm not going to worry about it

I thought about that for a while, but i decided to keep it low profile in the front. Though I've heard people question it's strength, it's designed to bolt across to my tow hook brackets like Rusty's Receiver, and the bolts barely fit on the 3" part. If that's not strong enough I was also planning on having it tie in to the Swaybar mounting points like a drawtite does with some angle iron.

Jeeperjohn, I was even thinking about throwing on some trapezoidal plate like some rear hitches I've seen around. I think that'd be do well in the for warmth and fuzziness!

low profile?
not sure if you can see it well in this photo, but I don't think a hitch can get any lower profile then this.
6VoXiv153087-02.jpg

I wouldn't be too concerned with strength, your using 2x3" 1/4"wall right? from rail to rail in the front is what, 20some inches (I forget exactly and Jeep is not here) either way. If your bumper is properly attached to the uni-frame (reaching back to use 2-3+ added bolts plus the stock bumper attachments) you shouldn't need much gussetting because there won't be much distortion/deflection of the 2x3"

that being said there is less opportunity for deflection if you cut a square out of the 2x3, leaving the top and bottom intact.

sorry, not trying to sway you one way over the other, it's just my opinion, nothing more.

low profile?
not sure if you can see it well in this photo, but I don't think a hitch can get any lower profile then this.

Well... what I meant to say is I already cut it so the choice is gone! haha. That's a slick setup that you have. Mine isn't a bumper though, so it's gonna hang bellow my stock bumper. It'll connect between the tow hook brackets

Like this one:
Front-Receiver_01.jpg

I'm also thinking about tying it in to the framerail at the sway bar brackets like a drawtite front receiver does.

those sway bar brackets in the rear are a long ass way away. it would seem more beneficial if you just drilled and sleeved a few more holes a little closer and added some plate to attach to the hitch mounts

Well... what I meant to say is I already cut it so the choice is gone! haha. That's a slick setup that you have. Mine isn't a bumper though, so it's gonna hang bellow my stock bumper. It'll connect between the tow hook brackets

Like this one:

I'm also thinking about tying it in to the framerail at the sway bar brackets like a drawtite front receiver does.

ah, I see.
well then let me add this;
1. for low profile have you thought about cutting a square into the stock bumper to raise your hitch enough to "hide" in the bumper itself.
2. I would use more then just the sway bar mounts for attachment points. it seems your already planning on it, but just in case. I'd say the stock bumper mounts (on the inside, to sandwich the frame with the stock mounts) along with the sway bar as a minimum.
3. seems you have a good idea of what you want... put it into motion and lets have a look see how it turns out.

again, good luck with the build.

Who ever invented AutoCAD was a tard! Paint works just fine! That drawing in paint is better than some AutoCAD drawings I've seen. lol

That looks good to me. Mine is kinda done like that.

those sway bar brackets in the rear are a long ass way away. it would seem more beneficial if you just drilled and sleeved a few more holes a little closer and added some plate to attach to the hitch mounts

Think you mis-read the original post......."I'm making a front receiver for my XJ......"

whats the point of a receiver in the front? can you not back a trailor up properly? for all that work, might as well build a bumper. and you said youve got hooks, whats wrong with those? its be cheaper/easier/cleaner to box those in so they dont bend. and they do, trust me. seems like working for something really not all that functional. i removed the plastic pieces under my stock bumper and gained a ton of clearance. 4" or so (apparently thats a ton).

if your building just to build... then i guess disregard all the qestions i asked and things i said.

If you've ever had a winch on a 2" receiver plate you'd instantly see the draw of a front mount hitch.

Sure is nice to be able to winch from the front or back and when you're not wheeling put the winch in the garage where it's safe and out of the weather.

Here the reasoning for this project

1. I already have a winch mounted on a receiver plate that I could use. And moving a winch around isn't a concern for me because I'm an offensive lineman.
2. Hooks have always scared me, especially the ones that face down. With this set up, I'll have a receiver and a couple of D rings to attach my jeep to.
3. I figured since it's a little stronger than the plastic (ok, A LOT!) that it would be a good protection for my lower rad support and front of my oil pan. Plus it won't hang quite as low as my hooks currently do.
4. My dad brought home a hunk of metal home from his construction job that wasn't big enough to build a bumper, and I kinda like the stock bumper look anyways. Can't argue with free!

Thanks for all the responses guys! Notes taken, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back