• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weird noise from steering wheel only when cold?

TheOld99XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Not the biggest deal and if I have to deal with it I will-

If the Jeep hasn't been run for a while, for the first hour or so whenever the steering wheel is turned significantly, there is this crying sound coming from the wheel or shaft or something. It sounds like something might just need to be oiled but I have no clue what it would be. After a while the noise goes away.

Any ideas?

I have found that lubricating the seal around the steering column where it goes through the firewall stops the plaintive groan my xj makes. I used some heavy silicone lube last year, but as temps dipped below zero recently, mine started crying again. time for me to bend over backwards and upside down for the jeep again!

If it sounds like someone is strangling a goose, it probably is that rubber boot. I hit mine with some "Plastic safe" spray lube periodically, which takes care of it for a few weeks/months depending on the weather.

Not to sound dumb, but where is this rubber boot? I'm sure its probably on the steering shaft somewhere but where does it contact and what is the best solution? I just haven't had time to look under there yet. Hopefully today, as my 2000 is making a similar noise. It seems to be louder outside the jeep though.

Not to sound dumb, but where is this rubber boot? I'm sure its probably on the steering shaft somewhere but where does it contact and what is the best solution? I just haven't had time to look under there yet. Hopefully today, as my 2000 is making a similar noise. It seems to be louder outside the jeep though.

I'm wondering the same thing, though my noise sounds like mine is coming from interior, could be wrong.

my 99 makes the same noise and i thought it sounded like it was in the steering wheel or atleast it sounds like it to me, only when i turn left not to the right ??????

I just inspected and for me the noise in mine is located interior at the firewall where the steering 'shaft' is surrounded by the rubber boot that others I think were referring to above.

Going to go get some plastic safe lubricant and put it on

Back