• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d60 front brake problem

knucklehead 61

NAXJA Forum User
my red p.o.s. has a '79 f-350 d60 with ginormous brake calipers.
the calipers are held on with a goofyass cast steel "H" shaped thing that is sort of held in place with one bolt. i think this is all oem stuff.
anyway, every time i wheel the red p.o.s. i loose one of the "H" things.
so i got a bit smarter & welded 1/2 of a washer to it so the mounting bolt would hold it better. then it decided that the calipers like to pop out of the "H" thingie & rub on the wheels if i brake hard in reverse. so i got smarter yet (see a pattern developing here yet?) & welded another 1/4" to one leg of the "H". i just checked on them after the last wheeling trip & one of the m-f'ing "H" things is cracked in half & the other flew the coop completely!
so, WTF??? how do i keep the mf'ing calipers in place?!? :helpme:

Sounds like operator error..... :)

Obviously you're missing something, a stock caliper and mounting system should work perfectly. I'm not remembering off hand how those are mounted, but if you went and looked at another D60 you might find what you're missing. Or, if the parts you have are fubar'd then buy new parts and start over.

BTW, my D60 has two caliper bolts, are you sure you're not just missing a bolt?

What goatman said. if the OEM setup isn't keeping the brakes in place, something is missing.

I just remembered that on my calipers there are the two caliper bolts that hold the caliper to the knuckle them there are two other bolts going into the calipers that I believe are for adjusting and keeping everything in place. Do you have all the bolts?

Back