• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

t case doing wierd stuff

1990heepxj

NAXJA Forum User
Ok 1990 4.0 aw4 242

Ok so I did a hack n tap 2 days ago on my 242 and now its in 2wd on the shifter inside but is going in and out of 4 while I'm driving. The 4wd light doesn't comes on some of the time and doesn't other times, its just really sketchy with 35s and a locked front end. It has always been a pain to get out of 4wd, I usually had to be coasting with it in 2wd mode and hit nuetral to get it out of 4. Now its just doing what ever it wants and its pissing me off.

Any ideas what would cause it to do this?

When you did the HnT did you disassemble the transfer case to drill and tap the hole or did you do it with the transfer case still assembled?

Nope did it right in place, didn't remove anything but the yoke and tailcone. I removed the t case drop now also and it feels like the shifter is fully clicking into 2wd but it still is randomly going in and out a couple times as I'm driving. I can feel it pop from 2wd to 4wd in the shifter but wether it actually does it is another story obviously

Last edited:
The T-case drop (installation or removal) will make it necessary to re-adjust the linkage. It's an easy proceedure...just do the linkage adjustment and see if it fixes the problem. If not, then you may have issues with the shift fork pads inside the T-case....

Ya I adjusted it earlier even though its worked fine with the t case drop all along and I never adjusted it, I just went a little higher so I did the HnT and all of a sudden the next day it was disfunctional, so I took the drop out and it was just as bad, I adjusted it today and it seems to be ok now. Wierd it all of a sudden happened even tho nothing changed linkage wise

Did you hammer the flange/yolk on after the hack n tap by chance or did it slide on smoothly?

If you hammered on it at all you may have broken a lock ring and that will cause some wonky things and eventually the destruction of the T-case.

Back