• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Steering help ?

Indy97xj

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 98 xj 6.5" lift on 31x10.50x15( I know to small) but back to the point I have adjusted all toe and caster to the best I can and I have a terrible case of bump steer. Any ideas will be much appreciated.

I assume that since you have 6.5" of lift you intend to run 35s or 37s...

There are a TON to steering set-ups out there. You just have to find one you like.

The ONLY way to get rid of bumpsteer is to install crossover steering and have the draglink as horizontal as possible.

Lowrange 2 thanks for the quick response, what about moving the drag link to the top of the knuckle, have you seen this done

if the trackbar and draglink are parallel and the joints are in good shape then there should be no bumpsteer, or at most minimal. what trackbar are you running? in all reality, you are pushing your stock steering to the limits at that height.

If they are parallel, then moving the drag link to the top of the knuckle won't help, unless you move the track bar up as well.

If they are parallel, moving either one but not both will make them not be parallel, which will give you bumpsteer, not help it.

Yes sir they are all in good shape, sorry for the verbiage I mean to say move the tie rod to the top of the nuckle on the drivers side to make it run horizontal to the ground will this help.

that wont matter. if you havent modified your trackbar mount, then i find it hard to believe its parallel with your draglink.

Are you saying move the track bar mount down that is what I am seeing in mounts. But why do you need to do this if they are parallel and maybe they are not but in looking at them they appear to be

Are you saying move the track bar mount down that is what I am seeing in mounts. But why do you need to do this if they are parallel and maybe they are not but in looking at them they appear to be

Are you sure they are parallel? Can you post a picture of the front end showing the steering. It should look like this if you were to draw lines on it.

WheelinTuttleCreek83110017.jpg

Great thread.I just lifted my Jeep and have the same problem.I have a RE track bar and stock mount.I just got it alligned and helped a bit but not totally.My jeeps and work (drove work truck home) so I can;t go out and check if they are parallel.

OK, so what exactly do you mean by "bumpsteer"? If you haven't changed the steering, then you shouldn't have any bumpsteer. What exactly are you feeling that you are calling bumpsteer?

Bumpsteer is when the vehicle steers itself when you hit a bump big enough for much suspension cycling. It's caused by the drag link and panhard/track bar not being aligned well enough, so that the drag link ends up turning the wheels slightly as the suspension cycles even though the driver is holding the wheel straight. Basically what's happening is that the lower end of the drag link is traveling though a different arc than the lower end of the panhard bar, so the drag link moves relative to the panhard bar and so makes the wheels turn slightly.

If you are getting any kind of shake, shimmy, or vibration as the suspension cycles, then that's not bumpsteer.

Goatman
I am explaining as bump steer is exactly what you are explaining. When I hit a bump or a dip in the road the jeep has a mind of it's onw and will go in different direction than straight down the road. And no steering changes have been made. I understand what you are saying and I believe the issue came into play after the lift. I am looking into a different track bar with drop bracket to get things lined up. May also look into a crossover steering set up. Thank you.

I still wouldn't be so quick to blame the steering, but without knowing more about your setup there's no way to tell. You do have a lot of lift, and if you have any blocks or spacers I would take them out and lower it a little. You also need to have less angle on your drag link, so some form of over the knuckle steering should be considered. You don't necessarily need a crossover system, just something OTK to reduce the drag link angle and then move the track bar to match it.

I'll bet that you have too little castor and so the steering wanders easily which is more noticeable over bumps.........but again, without seeing it we're just guessing.

Raising the pass side tre to the top can help.At that lift height the angle between the draglink and the tie rod gets pretty bad.As the suspension cycles it can make the toe change.Its doesnt mean it will fix your issues,but it certainly wont hurt to do it plus youll gain some ground clearance.What front suspension are you running?

Back