• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4WD hardware lifts...??

MaxxTraxx

NAXJA Forum User
I am thinking of a 4wd hardware 3" lift, a RE3.5, or ???

4wd uses BDS springs and procomp shocks....
RE has had bushing issues and possible rear spring issues...

BDS has a good all around rep...anyone run the 4wd 3" kit or know some one who has it?

Hello,

Just wanted to say the 4wd springs and lifts are good products and i would recommend them to anyone. I think for the cost they are hard to beat. The springs ride well and are plenty flexy. If i went with a 3 inch kit i would be running them on my jeep but i have a 4.5 long arm suspension.

- jason

RE has a great rep for sure....but I've ridden in a few 3.5" equipped XJ's, and unless they are loaded down with gear, or a roof rack, or tire carrier, they ride like crap. (yes, its a jeep, no I don't expect it to ride like a caddie, but I do expect a compliant ride, not a stiff, jarring one.)

I was gonna run Rusty's 3", but since finding out about the BDS springs used in 4wd's kit, I'm leaning more and more towards that one.

Thanks for the reply guys.

RE has a great rep for sure....but I've ridden in a few 3.5" equipped XJ's, and unless they are loaded down with gear, or a roof rack, or tire carrier, they ride like crap. (yes, its a jeep, no I don't expect it to ride like a caddie, but I do expect a compliant ride, not a stiff, jarring one.)

I was gonna run Rusty's 3", but since finding out about the BDS springs used in 4wd's kit, I'm leaning more and more towards that one.

If you think RE lifts ride like crap, good luck with pro crap shocks!
If ride quality is big concern, take a look at OME lifts http://www.dpgoff-road.com/site/OMEXJkits.htm

what shackles on those 3.5" lifted XJs?

I had a real rough ride on my OME 2" HD leafs (got me 3.5" of actual lift) until I put some longer shackles with greased bushings on them so they could actually flex.

RE springs ride just fine, I've been running them for over a year and my jeeps a DD, the only thing i would recommend is longarm and a good pair of shocks if you're worried about the ride quality.

Ive got a bad bushing in my RE 3.5" leaf, and they have sagged already and i don't carry any extra weight. I will not buy from them again. Sucks too because i was truly fond of their reputation.

I've heard a lot of people complain about RE bushings lately.

Never heard any bad things about BDS...seem to have a fantastic, if under the radar, rep.

Do not buy anything with the Pro-Comp name on it.

Now, this is precisely where someone will come along and explain how the Pro-Comp components on their XJ have held up to decades of wheeling abuse, thermonuclear warfare, and children, but my experience with their trackbar (and company) has made me anything but a fan. The adage, "you get what you pay for" definitely applies in their case.

I do the same thing with my Gabriel Guardians and they cost me $23 each.

Only blown one up so far.

I've never had an issue with PC shocks....they have a lifetime warranty....so when they leak I bring em back and get new ones.
Have you ever ran them on a cherokee?
They are stupid stiff, spend the extra $200 and get the full BDS kit

yep, I have...ES3000, which is a standard hyd. shock. rides fine as long as you run a es3000 or an MX6 in a softer setting. I'll more tan liekly upgrade to MX-6 shocks.

My RE 3.5" (truly 4.5"+ in my case) lift rides great with Bilstein 5100s. It was a bit stiff at first, but as the rear leaves broke in, the ride became considerably better. Now, I'd say it's damned near perfectly balanced - quite stiff (I can load 'er down good and remain damn near "normal" height), but the shocks are valved nearly perfectly... The only complaint I have is that the ride is *just* stiff enough that it is unwise to drink coffee from an open mug on anything but the most well-paved roads.

Back