• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lower radiator hose

Rambler100

NAXJA Forum User
1995 4.0 w/A/C manual trans persistant problems with cooling. Last breakdown was in NC and the AAA service center replaced the water pump with a dealer part. Then lower hose about a month later. Lost original spring.
Anyway I have received a 2 row CSF from radiator barn to replace a non max cool oem single row. I'm concerned about the lower hose as I need to trailer a 3000lb rated 5X10 trailer in the summer at highway speeds.
Searches seem to split on the spring issue. Here in Richmond VA the dealer is $75 and backordered. Wondering about what part manu is a universal with spring. Remembered about member with an aol address but can't find again. Any help appreciated.

Last edited:
I have had 2 lower hoses since I have had the XJ, no spring, no problem. I tow at high RPM's (mountain grades @ 55-60 MPH) AW4, D35 w/3.55's. I have a Hayden trans cooler and a stock OEM water pump. I does in fact get a little warm but never overheats.

You can buy hoses with the coil spring in them at Advance Auto and then swap the spring over. Make sure it's the right diameter, no big deal other than that.

That said I have no idea if there is a spring inside the lower hoses on my rigs. No problems yet so I haven't checked.

wehn I did the cooling system swap in my junk I used a hose without the spring. It's not been a problem.

and you learned the hard way that when you start messing with the cooling system it's just best to do it all at once. Fixing one part just exposes the weaknesses of the other old parts.

Buy a "universal" lower hose--spring is built into the hose and you CAN'T collapse one of those suckers.

Those springs were in their for a KNOWN problem. Today it is hard to find a lower hose with the spring, and the counter monkey will tell you its not needed any longer because of "superior" quality hoses. Yeah, right--China, Mexico, India--"superior" hoses and "one size fits all" clothing, and the nice man in the van really does just want to give you some candy while you help him find his lost puppy.

thanks for the help. I'm out of my arena when it comes to parts. There is a Gates something like 25528 from Rockauto and in the picture it has circunferential ribs. Is that the type or am I looking for some other universal telltale. Again, appreciate the help. Want to put in a good system with this radiator replacement.

I redid my 95's whole cooling system this summer (CSF 3-row, new water pump, thermostat, housing, and hoses) and was still having some problems with running hot. I put some hood spacers on thinking it would help; no dice. Then I thought it was the replacement lower hose that didn't have a spring. So I ran her up to 235°and checked the hose; still round as ever. I was stumped.

After a ton of research on NAXJA, I pointed it downhill and bled the gauge sensor hole at the back of the head. It gulped in over a quart of coolant, and I haven't seen the gauge break 215° since.

I guess the moral of the story, for me at least, was that the spring didn't matter. YMMV.

I redid my 95's whole cooling system this summer (CSF 3-row, new water pump, thermostat, housing, and hoses) and was still having some problems with running hot. I put some hood spacers on thinking it would help; no dice. Then I thought it was the replacement lower hose that didn't have a spring. So I ran her up to 235°and checked the hose; still round as ever. I was stumped.

After a ton of research on NAXJA, I pointed it downhill and bled the gauge sensor hole at the back of the head. It gulped in over a quart of coolant, and I haven't seen the gauge break 215° since.

I guess the moral of the story, for me at least, was that the spring didn't matter. YMMV.
If you need the spring you won't be able to tell based on temp alone. The problem is that the suction from the water pump collapses the hose at medium to high RPMs.

Like I said though, I haven't had a problem and don't even know if my lower hose has a spring in it (I am 99% sure it doesn't in my 96 and 98, not sure about the 91) and I'm in "don't fix it if it aint broke" mode.

well I've been 1500 RPM's past the redline on the tach and didn't have any issues that I know of with the hose collapsing. I think this may have been a problem years ago before we had super duper reinforced hoses, and that it's not really a problem now.

All LHD, 4.0L
Lower hose, 87-90: 5200 3945 (without "american air" air conditioning)
(with air conditioning it has a fan sensor housing thingamajigger in the middle and is 2 separate hoses)
Lower hose, 91-93: 5200 6301
Lower hose, 94-96: 5200 6301 (there is a severe use hose listed, but it is only available for RHD :()
Lower hose, 97-98: 5200 6301
Lower hose, 99: 5202 8286AE
Lower hose, 00-01: 5200 6301

Why does the 99 have a different part number? I couldn't tell you. Blame Chrysler. Looking up the 5200 6301 hose in the online mopar database they now claim it fits 91-01 4.0 LHD as well as 97-99 2.5L LHD. They also claim the 5202 8286AE fits the 00-01 4.0 LHD.

The 5200 6301 has an MSRP of 65 bucks, the 5202 8286AE is 29. Again, no idea why the discrepancy and various dealers will rip you off different amounts for these. AutoZone will probably charge 20-25 for one.

wow, thanks for that part number summary. I'll continue to check around. I was going to praise Gates when I saw the Green Stripe Vulco Flex stuff. Was trying to guess at measurements and see what might work. Sent them an email asking specifically about the GS Vulco Flex as it has a "helical steel coil" molded in. They just sent back "Here is what we offer however we do not put springs in the hoses anymore and we supply Napa and CARQUEST auto parts stores" and a screen shot of their 1995 Cherokee standard products.

Back