• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

no blower!

ctxjlimited

NAXJA Forum User
So my blower motor shat the bed on my 93.

About a month ago, it decided to quit working, so I went under the dash to see if I'd kicked a fuse loose or some nonsense. I found one that I thought was the culprit. Magically when I started it back up it worked again! ( looking back I don't think I did anything)

Well that was all well and good and worked until last snow storm. Started it up, heat worked fine, left defrost on high, spent 20 minutes chipping ice off the windshield. When I got back in, no heat. Later that day I was able to get it to work, and assumed the problem had once again fixed itself. Since then it hasn't worked. Unfortunately I don't have a volt meter at my disposal, and it's mighty cold up here right now. Any help/advice would be great.

all of the wires on the back of the climate control panel are tight and the switch does not appear to be burnt. Also, if I'm understanding what I'm reading, if the resistor goes bad, I should still have the high speed setting? I do not have any speeds at the moment. I guess tomorrow I'll try to wire the fan directly to the battery and see if it will spin

I have a similar dillema with my '99. When the blower decides not to work a sharp rap with a maglite makes it run again. I get at it from the engine side of the firewall. I figure there is probably a dead spot on the brushes/stator in the motor and when it stops in just the right spot it wont wanna start up.

on the passenger side below the glove box you will find a little plate with two 5/16 screws holding it in place take it out and check for polarity this is almost alway's is the problem it's some kind of resister pack for the different speeds.

I went outside, pulled my washer tank out exposing the blower motor. Unplugged it, plugged it back in, tapped on the motor several times with my precision Husky 3/8 ratchet-hammer, got back in the jeep and it fired right up. So basically my blower motor is on it's way out. But that's not a big deal at all, I'll just order one and put it under the back seat. I'm pretty pumped to be nice and toasty again.:firedevil

I went outside, pulled my washer tank out exposing the blower motor. Unplugged it, plugged it back in, tapped on the motor several times with my precision Husky 3/8 ratchet-hammer, got back in the jeep and it fired right up. So basically my blower motor is on it's way out. But that's not a big deal at all, I'll just order one and put it under the back seat. I'm pretty pumped to be nice and toasty again.:firedevil

yep, sounds like brushes.
You can probably mak it through the winter just smacking it.

Hmmm...

Nice and "toasty" are you? That crappy motor will likely damage one or more of the following: your resistor pack; your HVAC switch; your ignition switch.

There are HEFTY-HEFTY-HEFTY circuits and there are WIMPY-WIMPY-WIMPY circuits. Unfortunately, the XJ comes with W-W-W.

I would replace the blower motor when it arrives.

Back