• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where does this go, and do i have to fix this? (pictures)

robhurlburt

NAXJA Forum User
'95 XJ, 155K, 4.0l

Where does this go?
P1230109.jpg

Do I have to fix this?
P1220107.jpg

plugs into here:
P1220108.jpg

does your heater work correctly? IIRC that vac line feeds the hvac system enabling it to go from hot to cold, and the blend door and the directional settings (or whatever you call it that determines where it blows).

The plastic line that is broken needs to be fixed. It is a vacuum line. The top picture could be a ground, but probably is a mounting attachment to keep the wire from falling down. Mine is also not attached. Someone on this forum will know what it is.

The plastic line that is broken needs to be fixed. It is a vacuum line. The top picture could be a ground, but probably is a mounting attachment to keep the wire from falling down. Mine is also not attached. Someone on this forum will know what it is.

haha. i actually ment the PLUG on the end of the wire. where does it plug into?

Where can i get the vacuum line?

I know this is kind of a crappy answer but...Leave the plug alone, I had the same hanging plug on my 90...

Fix the vac lines....there should be a diagram under your hood.

You could put a DMM on it to be sure, but I believe that's the plug for the underhood light.

If you can't source the vacuum line, any parts store should have rubber splices and plastic lines to patch yours up.

The plug is an underhood light, I found one at a JY for $1, plugged it in works great for checking the oil at night. It mounts to the hood and uses a mercury switch. Fix your vaccum line, again the JY is your friend.

The vacuum line is for the evaporative canister. A little piece of hose to splice it together and you should be fine. You should do it, though, because not only should you try to keep emission controls working, you also don't want stray vacuum leaks, even if the PCU corrects for them.

if you can't find a vaccum line that fits to fix your broken one, i've used a small steel brake line, cut the flared ends off, and connect it with heat shrink. BUT BE CAREFUL when applying heat-ya don't wanna melt the pvc vent line.

get a foot of standard rubber vac line from any auto parts store.

cut to length of missing chunk, push each end of hard pipe into new hose.

problem solved.:)

Plug is definitely for the underhood light, my Cherokee was missing one also, but had the exact same thing on my Wrangler. Picked one up at the JY.

Jeff

the stock underhood light is horrible, but there is enough space approximately over the area between the coolant overflow tank and the dizzy to mount a decent fluorescent lamp or old stock fog light to the underside of the hood if you want to. Don't power a fog light off the same wiring, it isn't thick enough and is constantly powered since the stock underhood light has a tip switch inside it.

Speaking of which that tip switch is known for getting seized up after a few decades, if you have a battery drain issue and your jeep has an underhood light try unplugging it.

another possibility for the underhood light would be to find an old XJ with the hood-mounted retractable light. I have one of these from an 87, though I keep putting off installing it on the 99.

For those unfamiliar with this one, it attaches to the framework of the hood itself, and the light nests in the bracket. It comes on with a mercury switch, and provides a little light as it stands, but it also pulls out with a cord several feet long, and has a magnetic base. Not very bright, but you can move it around and stick it to things. A clever design.

another possibility for the underhood light would be to find an old XJ with the hood-mounted retractable light. I have one of these from an 87, though I keep putting off installing it on the 99.

For those unfamiliar with this one, it attaches to the framework of the hood itself, and the light nests in the bracket. It comes on with a mercury switch, and provides a little light as it stands, but it also pulls out with a cord several feet long, and has a magnetic base. Not very bright, but you can move it around and stick it to things. A clever design.

x2. i have that on my 90. works great and i love it.

Back