• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

where do you put the angle finder when setting your pinion angle?

iroll919

NAXJA Forum User
i have been searching for half an hour now and connot find a thread that specifies where the best place to use an angle find is on a hp dana 30!

i have read some posts that say use a socket over the ball joints, but then someone responds saying thats not the right way but dont offer an alternative.

so where the best place to do this????

balljoint method?
flat spot on bottom of pinion?
flat spot on pinion right underneath the yoke?

help!!

Well, your D30 has got a double cardan so really it's angle shouldn't matter unless it's really bad. I have a 6" lift and don't have a problem. If you start rotating that axle your going to mess up your caster angle.

When I put a Ford 8.8 on the back, I just put the Ubolts on and then rotated the axle until it was pointing directly at the Tcase. I didn't measure the angle. Then I tacked the spring perches on, unbolted it and finished it up.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you're doing?

Turn the pinion yoke to the 12 O'clock position without the caps/clamps on it. Get you a magnetic angle finder and attach it across the cups in the 12O'clock position also. Rotate your housing until you get the desired angle and weld your perches.

I used the flat spot on the top of center section. I think I set the angle at about 7 degree's. that put the spring perches at 0 degrees. I'm at about 7" of lift and my steering was good with 35" mtr's.

sorry made that post from my brothers account

anyway when i look at my pinion angle its pointed up high enough that it does not sit level with the driveshaft it sits higher so it is in need of adjusting to get my camber back closer to spec

as of right now my steering is horrible

Well, your D30 has got a double cardan so really it's angle shouldn't matter unless it's really bad.
... it's only at the transfer case end of the driveshaft. The axle end is a single cardan and will suffer from vibes if the angle is too extreme.

OP - putting it on top of the balljoint will measure the caster. Putting it on the yoke will measure the pinion angle. The two angles are related if you feel like doing math instead. Depends on what you're going for - vibes, you care about pinion angle. Terribad steering, you care about caster.

i guess i worded this wrong

i know my front axle is not properly adjusted and im in the process of adjusting it now i just would like to know the best place to put the angle finder so i can try to adjust my caster/pinion to that magical 5-9 degrees position

Put it on top of the yoke and adjust your control arms until you get to 5deg. I have 6.5" of lift and run mine at 6 deg. But if you put it on a rack your caster will probably still be off.

i have been searching for half an hour now and connot find a thread that specifies where the best place to use an angle find is on a hp dana 30!

i have read some posts that say use a socket over the ball joints, but then someone responds saying thats not the right way but dont offer an alternative.

so where the best place to do this????

balljoint method?
flat spot on bottom of pinion?
flat spot on pinion right underneath the yoke?

help!!

This probably wont be any help to you, but....

IMG_8059.jpg

Back