• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

U-bolt question

FlexdXJ

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I am lifting my jeep some more this weekend. I have an 8.25 which I know is a 3" axle tube. Can I use a 3 1/8" u bolt or do I need a 3"?

I found some, Ken. Thanks. I was pretty damn sure I needed them but was just being on the safe side. A local shop wanted $75 for a set but I found some universal ones for 15 a pair. Advance auto parts had the 3.125 u bolts.

Well, nevermind! Freaking moron at the auto parts store said, yeah we have them. Drive to town only to find that the didn't! So looks like I'm having a local shop charge me 65 bucks to make them.:smsoap: unless ruffstuff can get them to me by friday this is my only option.

im curently running 3.125 ubolts on my 8.25 with zero issues, if its all you can get you will be fine

when adding a lift (s-10 bastard), is there any reason why you can't use the stock u-bolts? I would assume you want new ones, but why wouldn't advance auto (or any local place) u-bolts not work?

when adding a lift (s-10 bastard), is there any reason why you can't use the stock u-bolts? I would assume you want new ones, but why wouldn't advance auto (or any local place) u-bolts not work?

My guess is that my u-bolts have been on there since it rolled out from the factory so there is a good chance the threads have streched over time. You really want to use new u-bolts when you're doing a lift. It just sucks that I am buying these then throwing them away after a few months when i do my axle swap! :bawl:Thats said, I did it on my last jeep and luckily had zero issues.

its always a good idea to change out your u-bolts for new ones when adding a lift.

and theres no problem using the parts store u-bolts you just gotta find the right ones, i used advanced auto parts grade 5 u-bolts for my 8.25 with my 5.5" lift

It just sucks that I am buying these then throwing them away after a few months when i do my axle swap! :bawl:Thats said, I did it on my last jeep and luckily had zero issues.

If you're just doing it for a few months to get you by until the axle swap, I say just go for it. I used some parts store cheapies on mine that were probably about .25" too big for awhile until I had a chance to gather all the parts up to install my rear bumps/u-bolt plates. So long as everything is torqued to specs, I don't see how 1/8" could really cause a problem over the course of a few months. I'd hate to see a nice set of u-bolts get wasted like that.

If you're just doing it for a few months to get you by until the axle swap, I say just go for it. I used some parts store cheapies on mine that were probably about .25" too big for awhile until I had a chance to gather all the parts up to install my rear bumps/u-bolt plates. So long as everything is torqued to specs, I don't see how 1/8" could really cause a problem over the course of a few months. I'd hate to see a nice set of u-bolts get wasted like that.

I agree, now I hope a 10" U-bolt will work for me. I called ruffstuff asking about u-bolts and Dan helped me out with the info I needed. My time frame is too short to order from him but I can guarantee he will be getting my business in the future! :cheers:

As long as the threads are long enough you will be fine.

Just measure the thickness of your leaf perch, spring pack, and add the diameter of the tube (3" in this case.) If 10" minus that amount is longer than the threaded portion of the bolt ends you are golden.

thats only 1/16" on each side. i wouldnt worry. what axle are you swapping in that requires new u-bolts?

I am just replacing my packs and keeping my 8.25. Rule of thumb is to replace the u-bolts when you do it. Its my DD, I am not taking any chances. FWIW, I think i will use the 3.125" u-bolts since I am only running them for a few months. The 8.8 i have will be getting U-bolt eliminators!

Back