• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

maybe a steering box issue...

XJwheelman

NAXJA Forum User
you definitely need the patience of a saint to own an XJ!
I was going to put this in Mod tech but I think its an OEM problem.
I just recently installed a new Power Steering Pump. About 2 weeks ago. Normally my steering is nice and tight (unfortunately not like my women). this XJ is my Daily driver and it sees a lot of highway miles. As I'm driving the steering will go from normal to loose. What I mean by loose is I will be able to move the wheel at least 3 inches in either direction before the wheels respond. Its not constant and it doesn't change with the jeep being turned off or on. It just does it, and it is annoying as hell. The pump is new, the box is original. The drag link, tie rod and ends are all new. there is a steering stabilizer in there that is some what new(2 years at most) Any ideas?

I have the same issue, I call it "steering slop". Not sure if it helps at all but I was told that my steering box or whatever the thing with the pitman arm is, is worn on the inside. I am looking to replace that. I was thinking it could be true because my pump went out and maybe, maybe, the gears inside wore out because of the lack of fluid. Sorry, if that doesnt help.

When the steering box goes you get a big dead zone on center. The steering can still feel good once you turn enough to put a load on the box and take up the the slop but going straight down the road you have lots of play. You can try to adjust the engagement screw on the steering box to see if that helps but it as always been a bandaid for me. I would be shopping for a new box, I have never gotten much more than 60k out of one.

Make sure the bolts holding the steering box to the frame are tight. Have someone turn the wheel while you see what is loose.

My stock steering box was working fine at 146k or so. As of right now it would be working fine if it had stayed bolted to the frame rail. Replacing it with a Durango box soonish since I'm fairly certain the threads stripped out of the mounting bosses when the bolts came out while I was wheeling.

There is an adjustment for the over-center slop. The FSM says to pull the gear out and make the adjustment with the gear in a vise after setting the worm gear preload. In the past, I have had some luck making the adjustment in the vehicle. The adjuster is on the top of the gear, has a lock nut around it and takes an allen key to turn it. Clockwise adjustment removes slop. Small adjustments at a time. If you go too far, the gear will bind at the end of travel. The idea is to just remove the slop. Keep in mind that what appears to be a great deal of motion at the steering wheel is not all that at the gear. Also keep in mind that doing this adjustment without setting the worm preload is a band aid...

There is an adjustment for the over-center slop. The FSM says to pull the gear out and make the adjustment with the gear in a vise after setting the worm gear preload. In the past, I have had some luck making the adjustment in the vehicle. The adjuster is on the top of the gear, has a lock nut around it and takes an allen key to turn it. Clockwise adjustment removes slop. Small adjustments at a time. If you go too far, the gear will bind at the end of travel. The idea is to just remove the slop. Keep in mind that what appears to be a great deal of motion at the steering wheel is not all that at the gear. Also keep in mind that doing this adjustment without setting the worm preload is a band aid...

The binding actually happens at the center of travel, not the ends of the travel.

The fact that it changes from tight to loose sounds like the seals are starting to leak. It needs to be rebuilt or replace.

thanks for the responses and help. I guess a new box is on the wish list. how bad is it if you keep driving with a broken box? I wont be able to get a new one in for a little while. its not going to grenade or stop working is it?

Back