• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

np231 to np242 swap - center axle disconnect

seigeXJ90

NAXJA Forum User
I swapped my np231 to an np242 ... something I didn't realize is that the np231 links up by vacuum to the center axle disconnect on my front d30 ... So i'm going to bypass the CAD ...

With my NP242 and since I'll be using full time 4x4 often ... will I have any issues with it being bypassed? will 2wd, fulltime or parttime 4wd be effected?

I'm still only partially familiar with the insides of a differential and didn't even know vacuum disconnects existed till about 2 hours ago

I guess my question is does a disco d30 with the disco bypassed act the same as a non-disco d30 for the purpose of full-time 4wd

Last edited:
No issues at all,just shim the CAD fork into the "locked" position and call it good.

one last thing what about plugging the vacuum connector do i plug it where it hits the cad and also the transfer case or up in the engine compartment.. and how do i plug them?

On the axle it just pulls out.. Seal them off and tuck them away somewhere.

Already got them off the axle and bypassed the disconnect... I guess what I'm asking is what is the best wait to seal them... assuming they hook into the main vacuum system I don't want a leak or anything to get sucked in..... I'm pretty new to all this so just trying to be careful as I feel my way around

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk.

the harness runs to the t-case from the engine compartment. If you don't care about your 4WD light working follow the vacuum harness back up the chassis to the engine compartment. Disconnect it from the main harness, plug with a vacuum fitting. You can find them at the parts store, just white nylon plug. A screw smeared with RTV works just as well.

If you want the 4wd Light to work, plug the lines together at the axle, the switch for the light is a vaccum switch above the CAD on the firewall. Engage 4wd, find the line that has vacuum coming from the case, plug into the lamp switch. Plug the other line.

Back