• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Shackle relocators+hitch+gas tank skid+Tailbone=?

Ogrebonz

NAXJA Forum User
I already have a modified Drawtite hitch, HD Offroad Engineering shackle relocators and a JcrOffroad fuel tank skid sandwiched together under the back of my 2000 XJ. Now I want to add a Detours Tailbone tire carrier too. Has anyone done this? I'm wondering if the tank skid might interfere with the Tailbone.
I've got the tools and skill to cut and weld as necassary, I just would like to be prepared as this is my DD.

No thanks, I don't want a different bumper, and I'm keeping the hitch too.

lol, good luck. I had a hell of a time getting my JCR gas tank skid, Factory Hitch, and H.D. Shackle relocation to play nice.

Funny, I'm in the exact opposite position. I've got a Detours Slimline and a DPG skid plate and was wondering if I could still use the shackle relocators. So long as all your existing parts are using the factory bolt hole locations, you should have no problem adding the Tailbone. It attaches to the "frame rail" from the inside using the two holes just in front of the rear crossmember. You cut off the ends of the existing nut strips and replace them with the Detours bumper mounting hardware. You'll just have to get all the bolts started, then snug everything up to pull it all together. Two recommendations though:

1. If you want all your hardware standardized, go buy a metric tap that matches the factory nut strips. The Detours mounting brackets use standard thread. I wanted all mine the same so I drilled them out and re-tapped them to metric threads.

2. If you're currently using the hole that is just to the rear of the rear crossmember (my DPG skid does) I'd try to track down some flange nuts that also match the nutstrips for that spot. You could just use a piece of the nutstrip that you cut off while installing the Detours brackets, but I thought it looked tacky so I tracked down some proper nuts instead.

Funny, I'm in the exact opposite position. I've got a Detours Slimline and a DPG skid plate and was wondering if I could still use the shackle relocators. So long as all your existing parts are using the factory bolt hole locations, you should have no problem adding the Tailbone. It attaches to the "frame rail" from the inside using the two holes just in front of the rear crossmember. You cut off the ends of the existing nut strips and replace them with the Detours bumper mounting hardware. You'll just have to get all the bolts started, then snug everything up to pull it all together. Two recommendations though:

1. If you want all your hardware standardized, go buy a metric tap that matches the factory nut strips. The Detours mounting brackets use standard thread. I wanted all mine the same so I drilled them out and re-tapped them to metric threads.

2. If you're currently using the hole that is just to the rear of the rear crossmember (my DPG skid does) I'd try to track down some flange nuts that also match the nutstrips for that spot. You could just use a piece of the nutstrip that you cut off while installing the Detours brackets, but I thought it looked tacky so I tracked down some proper nuts instead.
It gonna have to make some spacers for my JCR tie-ins I believe when I do shackle boxes, its gonna be tricky getting the tie ins and skidplate held up there to run the bolts in. I feel sorry for you guys with hitches too! :D

I was thinking of this as well. I plan on taking my hitch off and putting on an AJ's bumper and JCR gas tank skid. Anyone have experience on how they fit together?

lol, good luck. I had a hell of a time getting my JCR gas tank skid, Factory Hitch, and H.D. Shackle relocation to play nice.

Oh yeah, I managed to do this alone, with the help of lots of vice grips, a floor jack, blocks of wood, die grinder....

That's why i'm wondering how much more "fun" adding the Tailbone will be.

I already went to the JCR nutserts too, so all the bolts (ok, more of the bolts) back there are SAE.

I spaced my skid down with 1"x1/4" steel that matched the thickness of the shackle relocators. Using a strip of steel was a lot easier than fitting in a bunch of seperate spacers or stacks of washers.

Last edited:
Oh yeah, I managed to do this alone, with the help of lots of vice grips, a floor jack, blocks of wood, die grinder....

That's why i'm wondering how much more "fun" adding the Tailbone will be.

I already went to the JCR nutserts too, so all the bolts (ok, more of the bolts) back there are SAE.

I spaced my skid down with 1"x1/4" steel that matched the thickness of the shackle relocators. Using a strip of steel was a lot easier than fitting in a bunch of seperate spacers or stacks of washers.

Sounds like you already did the difficult part. Adding the Tailbone should be a piece of cake. I don't remember which SAE bolt size the Detours mounting brackets used, but I'd pick up a tap that matches those JCR nutserts if they end up being different.

So it sounds like in order to mount up the shackle relocaters with my skid I'd have to space the skid down 1/4" to compensate? Dang, I was hoping that the relocaters could mount below the skid instead of directly against the frame rail. Doable, but definitely more of a PITA.

I just ordered a Detours Tailbone and I am in the process of working with AJ's for a front bumper. I would recommend calling Mark with Detours and AJ with AJ's. They are both great to work with and knowledgeable about the headaches we encouter while making all of these addons work. I haven't stumped either of them yet.

Back