• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Won't start after jumping, clicking?

Dest

NAXJA Forum User
I jumped a friends POS ZJ last night, and this morning my XJ won't start. Turn key to the on position, its fine, lights come on, etc. Try to start and it clicks a couple of times and then all electric dies. Sometimes I have to reset the battery cables to get electric back, sometimes just turning the key off again works.

Could some type of fuse or something have been blown while jumping the ZJ? I would think starter due to the clicking, but not since all the electric blows out. The jeep has been fine starting all winter so far. Ideas?

Does the rest of the electrical work? headlights heater fan etc.?

check alternator output and your battery, sounds like you need a jump now

check alternator output and your battery, sounds like you need a jump now

And the state of the battery terminals and cables - given that moving them around evidently helps combat the issue, I'd suspect them as a potential part of the problem.

Your battery or your main cables are crapping on you.

Fully charge your battery and have it load tested.

While that is being done clean both ends of both main cables.

Once the battery is back in do a voltage drop test to check the condition of the cables: http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

I agree with Joe.

Your battery or your cables are likely the issue.

Clean battery terminals AND posts. Load test battery. Any parts store will load test your battery for you for free in the hopes of selling you a new one if you need it. Load testing is the ONLY accurate way of determining battery condition.

Report back what you find.........

Sometimes I have to reset the battery cables to get electric back, sometimes just turning the key off again works.

?????^

If you can move either of the terminals on the battery post or either of the cables in the terminals (if they are add-on replacement ends) without any tools, than you've located your first area of concern.

pull the battery and have it load tested and/or charged and tested. Use the time that the battery is out of the vehicle to inspect, clean, and repair the cables and terminals. Replace anything that cannot be made clean and new looking again.

Well the cables are new (5-90s), and by reset I mean take the ground off and wait a minute then put it back on. I'll try some of the suggestions and post back. The other electric things do work, the heater was on first time it did it and lights come on.

What year?What engine?

Check the alternator fuses in the Fuse box in the engine bay. They're 50 amp I believe. A previous owner put black crinkly stuff over both leads on my sister's YJ and in a moment of stupidity I crossed the negative to the positive while attempting to jump it.

My Jeep was also doing the clicky thing a few weeks ago. After getting jumped I got it to start but later it seemed like it wasn't charging because it was barely starting every time. Gave my starter a good whack and it was back to normal Can't explain it!

Check the alternator fuses in the Fuse box in the engine bay. They're 50 amp I believe. A previous owner put black crinkly stuff over both leads on my sister's YJ and in a moment of stupidity I crossed the negative to the positive while attempting to jump it.

My Jeep was also doing the clicky thing a few weeks ago. After getting jumped I got it to start but later it seemed like it wasn't charging because it was barely starting every time. Gave my starter a good whack and it was back to normal Can't explain it!

You need a new starter-solenoid.

Well I am happy (and ashamed) to report that while the connection to the battery post was solid, the actual wires to the grounds were loose, tightened them and they fired right up. They must've come loose enough to make it start misbehaving when I was attaching the jumper cables.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

Well I am happy (and ashamed) to report that while the connection to the battery post was solid, the actual wires to the grounds were loose, tightened them and they fired right up. They must've come loose enough to make it start misbehaving when I was attaching the jumper cables.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

No soup for you! :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak: :twak:

Seriously, glad you got it worked out.

Back