• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

welded front diff and a cable posi-loc ?

thicky

NAXJA Forum User
ok so ive been thinking about welding up my front diff and installing a posi-loc cable and only locking it in when i absolutly need it. im just wondered if any body has done this and if i caused major part breaking issues? this is a 95% trail rig maybe on the street to get from one trail to the next.

the only thing is that it will be 3 wheel drive with the other axle unlocked and make it potentially try to pull the wheel. idk i had thought about it too. whether you will break stuff depends on what size tire your running and how hard you will be bashing it

isnt it pretty much 3 whell drive now? and i figure ill run it like that till i get on a really greasy hill and lock it in go up the hill and unlock it so im not binding when i turn. idk i was just thinking about it. i had a buddy that did it to a dana 44 and he kept busting lock outs. but i got another buddy that did it to a cj dana 30 with a v8 and its held up for 2yrs. but they both have lock outs insted of a disco axle. by the way im runnin 34 ltb's 4:10 gears 4.0 5speed and i try to stay out of the throttle if i can lol

isnt it pretty much 3 whell drive now? and i figure ill run it like that till i get on a really greasy hill and lock it in go up the hill and unlock it so im not binding when i turn. idk i was just thinking about it. i had a buddy that did it to a dana 44 and he kept busting lock outs. but i got another buddy that did it to a cj dana 30 with a v8 and its held up for 2yrs. but they both have lock outs insted of a disco axle. by the way im runnin 34 ltb's 4:10 gears 4.0 5speed and i try to stay out of the throttle if i can lol

no, because the spider gears in the diff allow the disconnected side and the connected side to free wheel, and anytime you're in 4wd and sending power through the front shaft the CAD system has locked up the passenger side shaft.

It won't be 3 wheel drive when you're in 2hi, so I wouldn't worry about it on the street.

For a trail rig I might do it, You'll probably kill the D30 eventually, but not any worse than a locker. I'm running a locked solid shaft D30 with 3.73's and 34" swamper SS, I've made it live doing some pretty gnarly stuff. You're at a disadvantage because the disco shafts have smaller 260x u-joints, unless you find a rare as unicorn farts 95 YJ shaft.

I say do it, realize that your D30 is going to die one day and set about finding a later model D30 with the solid shafts and bigger joints if you plan on staying D30.

At one time. This type of setup was common. But with weld/spools and lockouts. Even when used only when needed they didn't hold up well. With a part time only Tcase this will still bind the 260 Ujoint bad.
Now with a full time Tcase and only useing partime when must. I bet it wold last much longer.

or you could just buy an aussie for the d30 for 270 and get the shafts out of a newer xj with abs so you have the 297x joint my brother runs 35s with an aussie and 297x joints and honestly hes the craziest driver and abuses the hell out of his jeeps

I ran smaller u-joints with that exact setup and 32 x 12.50 x 15s and it worked great for 2 years until I was able to upgrade! Just drive smart and dont be gassing it a lot when you are stuck up against something. By the way I have a posi-lock I will sell you, it is the one with the longer cable for the higher lift it also has the heavy duty upgraded shift fork and I have a new hardware kit for it. PM me if you are interested, I can give you a good deal and it works GREAT!

BTW, I never broke any shafts in the 2 years I ran that exact setup. The only thing I noticed is a smaller turn radius when you have the posi-lock engaged. If you are worried about breaking a shaft I have a set of disconnect shafts and an extra sleeve too.

Back