• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ballistic Fab steering questions

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Got a ticket yesterday for an expired inspection sticker, so it looks like I'm going to have to stop ignoring my steering issues and actually fix them in the next few weeks. May as well upgrade a few things while I'm in there, and I've been looking at Ballistic Fab's Y-Link kit.

Due to a combination of time and money factors, this is looking like the best bet; OTK is out for the foreseeable future. However, I put a call in to Ballistic earlier and they mentioned that the rod ends are intended for use with a D60. It may be possible to ream out the D30 to accept them, but that won't leave a lot of metal for them to seat into. They did mention that they could build the setup with smaller rod ends, but I'd like to get as much beef as possible out of it.

So, my question: is anyone running this in a stock setup, and what did you do to make it work? Failing that, what alternatives are out there in the same price range? Budget's tight, so keeping as close to Ballistic's price as possible is a factor.

2000 XJ, LP30, 4.5" lift, drop pitman arm, RE trackbar & mount, JKS quick discos. Tie rod & drag link are stock.

this is essentially the same as the JCR kit. the only difference is that the jcr kit just threads tubes to accept the chevy TRE's. my advice? get a currie setup. i had the jcr and wasnt a huge fan: the dead spot!

I just got their 7/8 heim steering (with high misalignment spacers), it fixed my steering issues.

i was running stock steering at 6.5 inches of lift, i just had a local guy cut and weld the tube for me and then took it home to drill out the knuckles and pitman arm. thats the most time consuming part.

I would definitely recommend getting one of their kits.
And no dead spots anymore

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_1337.html

I just got their 7/8 heim steering (with high misalignment spacers), it fixed my steering issues.

i was running stock steering at 6.5 inches of lift, i just had a local guy cut and weld the tube for me and then took it home to drill out the knuckles and pitman arm. thats the most time consuming part.

I would definitely recommend getting one of their kits.
And no dead spots anymore

http://www.ballisticfabrication.com/Steering-Kit-78-with-High-Misalignment-Spacers_p_1337.html

x2. i did the same thing. 7/8" heims with 3/4" hardware. just keep them greased and youll be fine. no dead spots, very responsive, and obviously very strong

You can run the Chevy TRE's on a D30 no problem, the reamer costs about $60. Personally I'd avoid the Ballistic kit though, I had 3 out of 4 of the TRE's break in under 500 miles and 1 wheeling trip. Buy some tube and TRE's locally and pick a vendor for the inserts.

Back