• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Bastard Packs/ Rear Leafs

CamoChero

NAXJA Forum User
Ok guys, I did a quick search and couldn't find an exact answer to my question so here it is. I need another 1.5 - 2 inches of lift in the rear. The guy that had my xj before me put a RC 3 inch kit on with the shackles, but i think the springs are starting to droop. I keep hearing about guys doing "bastard packs" but I can never find what that actually means.

If anyone knows where a good tutorial on this is, or can link to a thread about it, It would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance guys!

Also if anyone knows of a cheap way to grab the extra height i need, that would be awesome as well...

A bastard pack is where you insert leafs from a donor pack into your existing pack.
The donor can be another Cherokee pack, (which is what I have done), or packs from a Chevy S10, or Dodge Dakota. Any of these can be picked up relatively cheap at a junkyard. There are probably others that can be made to work also.
The lift I got from the extra long leaf (with the ends cut off) is 1 solid inch.
I have read where you can get 3-4 inches from the S10 bastardization.
You want around 2 inches, I would try the top 2 leafs from another Cherokee pack. Make sure that any leafs you insert are a little shorter than the one above it.
A cutoff wheel comes in handy here.
Search bastard pack for more info.

A bastard pack is where you insert leafs from a donor pack into your existing pack.
The donor can be another Cherokee pack, (which is what I have done), or packs from a Chevy S10, or Dodge Dakota. Any of these can be picked up relatively cheap at a junkyard. There are probably others that can be made to work also.
The lift I got from the extra long leaf (with the ends cut off) is 1 solid inch.
I have read where you can get 3-4 inches from the S10 bastardization.
You want around 2 inches, I would try the top 2 leafs from another Cherokee pack. Make sure that any leafs you insert are a little shorter than the one above it.
A cutoff wheel comes in handy here.
Search bastard pack for more info.

I got 3" or so from using the main XJ leaf with the eyes cut off and a second leaf shortened to fit between the 2nd and 3rd Cherokee leaves. It rides pretty well, not that much stiffer than stock.

Back