• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coilovers AND Leafs?

sureshot007

NAXJA Forum User
I thought I read somewhere that running a coil spring with a leaf spring is very bad, but can't seem to find it now. Can anyone tell me why?

Reason: I am looking at buying shocks, and am entertaining the idea of running a 2.5" foa coilover with remote reservoir. My thinking is that I can put some soft springs on it and gain a little spring rate in the rear without buying new leafs. And this way I can quickly and easily customize my spring rates for my applications (this is for a race only truck).

School me, please :)

Don't know a great deal about this but I would guess the springs would basically fight each other because the spring rates are not the same, the rate is not linear and doesn't follow the same curve. I would expect a crapload of vibrations and twitchy handling. I believe an air bag setup would be different, there are companies offering air bag setups that will mount up but those are basicall designed to be helper springs for heavy loads. I think an investment in some good bypass shocks will produce much better results.

the upper shock mount area would need reinforcement if you intend to carry weight with the shocks.

Back