• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Explorer rear end and shock mount position

choptrees

NAXJA Forum User
Hi

I was wondering if anyone can give me advice on rear shock mount position for an XJ with an Explorer rear end? I've got a 98 XJ with around 160,000 on it. Bought it last year, the rear diff exploded on me shortly after and got a Ford Explorer rear end fitted and away I went. Unfortunately the shocks fitted to the rear end had about an inch of travel on them and are now fubar. Been trying to find new shocks, well, shorter shocks to give me more travel. But have had little success. I figured the next course of action might be to move the shock mount on the axle lower down. The place that did the work said they put them flush with the axle to give me clearance... Just wondering if anyone else has done the same swap and where their shocks are mounted on the axle.

Cheers

call Dan@ ruffstuff, ask him for just the 8.8 shock mounts that come in the swap kit.

Weld to your 8.8 and use shocks intended for your lift.

You could always mount your shocks up through the floor and then put a mount inside the cargo area. You can get more travel than the springs are capable of this way.

Yeah you definitely need to move your shock mounts lower mine about an inch below the axle tubes and I only have 3" of up travel on 12" travel shocks at 6" of lift. Mine would bottom up on large potholes or deeper manhole covers, not that fun. I had to measure the standing length between the upper and lower mounts and find shocks that match. I went with 40% uptravel and 60% downtravel. I have RE monotubes (nitrocharged) under there now and they are far superior to the Skyjacker Hydro's I took out.

Last edited:
Thanks... looks to me the shop tried to get me clearance but didn't take into account I wouldn't be able to find a shock to fit. Not an complaint as such, I went waaaay over budget and in the end asked them to get it done for cheap. Anyway, I've find some shocks with a shorter casing... guess we'll see how long those last! Otherwise I'll take on the suggestions about the 8.8 shock mounts or just move the present ones down on the axle.

Yeah you definitely need to move your shock mounts lower mine about an inch below the axle tubes and I only have 3" of up travel on 12" travel shocks at 6" of lift. Mine would bottom up on large potholes or deeper manhole covers, not that fun. I had to measure the standing length between the upper and lower mounts and find shocks that match. I went with 40% uptravel and 60% downtravel. I have RE monotubes (nitrocharged) under there now and they are far superior to the Skyjacker Hydro's I took out.

Yeah, potholes are no fun... if I sit my girlfriend in the back the truck starts whining extra hard!

You could run a crossover upper mount and gain travel.

Got a pair of Rough Country shocks. Work like a charm. Ride is way better! The acid test of course is I sat the girlfriend in the back of the Jeep and she emerged smiling... She's happy, the rest of my life is happy and peaceful!!

Back