• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

8 Gallon Action Packers

*Jonathan

NAXJA Forum User
Those Rubbermaid ActionPackers seem to be a relatively popular container in the 4x4 community, mainly due to their durability and low cost. SWAG offroad has even made a nice mounting bracket for them.

For those of you with the 8 Gallon variety, what have you crammed inside of yours? Do you find it sufficient for most of your trail gear?

can you use em as coolers?

EDIT: whats up man? Going to the Rausch creek thing thats going on next sunday? (Camped with you on the last NAXJA run!)

For those of you with the 8 Gallon variety, what have you crammed inside of yours? Do you find it sufficient for most of your trail gear?

If you're thinking of getting one, go for the 24-gallon variety. Two of the them will fit in the cargo area of an XJ with the back seat up and still leave room for two Jerry cans plus whatever soft/small things you can pack in around it all. One container does food, water, first aid, etc.; the does other parts, tools, & fluids.

The 8-gallon containers seem to be popular where space is at a premium; I've seen them used mostly on quads, rock buggies, and sandrails. One thing I will say is that the plastic on them (8- or 24-gallon) is surprisingly thin - I've bought $3.99 storage bins at Wal-Mart before that were constructed more solidly. Having said that, I've yet to break one.

I have an 8 gallon unit and love it. I'll try to list what all I have in there. The jeep is not here right now or I'd do an inventory.

1 Gallon of water
2 Tow straps 20'
Leather work gloves
Latex Gloves
First Aid Kit
Electrical Tape
Silicone Tape
Roll of Blue Shop towels
Couple of tools

Mine is crammed full.

I'm sure I'll buy another one in the future.

I use 2 8-gallons when camping. One for kitchen gear and one for food. On the XJ I put them in the top rack. On the TJ, I built a small rack for the top.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Those Swag mounts are very nice, and I might make some like that, but a couple eye bolts and a shortened ratchet strap works well for me. Certainly not blingy though.

If I were only going to use them in the XJ, I would probably get the larger ones, and build a slim rack to fit it back there. Here's my old XJ rack, I built it to fit my large cooler and 2 18 gallon (I think) Rubbermaid containers.

imag0140y.jpg

^^^^^^ Is that a Amber Fire 01? LUCKY!

I use 2 8-gallons when camping. One for kitchen gear and one for food. On the XJ I put them in the top rack. On the TJ, I built a small rack for the top.

original.jpg

original.jpg

Those Swag mounts are very nice, and I might make some like that, but a couple eye bolts and a shortened ratchet strap works well for me. Certainly not blingy though.

If I were only going to use them in the XJ, I would probably get the larger ones, and build a slim rack to fit it back there. Here's my old XJ rack, I built it to fit my large cooler and 2 18 gallon (I think) Rubbermaid containers.

imag0140y.jpg

Did you make the rack? Whats it bolted to?

I did build it. To mount it I used some lower mounting bolts I got from Olympic (from their Mountaineer Rack). But they would be easy to make, they just used a short 9/16 or so bolt bolted through the floor of the Jeep (need to drill). This bolt is tapped for a 5/16 or so bolt. They used some orange handled bolts, but I used eye bolts instead that allowed for turnbuckles. I was able to remove the rack pretty quickly. You can see the four turnbuckles.

Do NOT use the stock d-ring tie downs.

Oh still a very nice color! haha For some reason the door jamb looked orange. Should have guessed it was a 99 or earlier by the grey moulding.

Back